Coleslaw's Ultimate Guide to unblocking the doorway when your mum has blocked it by leaving the hoover in front of it

Talk about anything that takes your fancy in this forum (within reason of course)! Includes a dedicated sub-forum for forum games. :cool:
lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Coleslaw's Ultimate Guide to unblocking the doorway when your mum has blocked it by leaving the hoover in front of it

Postby lucozadesp0rt » January 27th, 2016, 2:15 pm

So this happened about an hour ago...

PROLOGUE:
I finished college today at about lunch, got the bus and got home at about 1:00PM
Got my key, unlocked the side door annnnndd... I couldn't get in.
The door would only open about 6-10cm wide and I was like "what the hell"

I noticed through this little gap I could see some cardboard boxes stacked and below in front of them I could see the end of the hoover nozzle peeping through.

"FOR FUCK SAKE" I knew what had happened, they'd left the hoover in this awkward spot which I usually remind to put somewhere else so I can get in but alas, I found myself in a very pickled pickle. I thought "There's no way to get in now, I'll have to sit here and wait til 3:45PM for my mum to get back with the front door key"

I sat for about 5 minutes, thinking of how I could overcome this predicament... I'm always up for a tough puzzle like the ones I get in the game Professor Layton so I thought about this as if it were a real-life Professor Layton puzzle.

THE SITUATION:
So, what do you do when the door you use to get in can only be opened about 5cm-10cm and it's blocked on the other side by some boxes and a hoover?

Step 1: Remove the boxes first. I did this by finding a nearby, thin wooden plank (one used for skirting board) and it fit into the small gap. Then just jam it at the boxes to tip them over to get them out the way.

Step 2: Retrieve the nozzle. This was a bit tricky and required some ingenious thinking, as well as some luck from the stuff I had available from the nearby scraps. First, I got this flexible thin piece of wood (might have been plastic) it was bendy which is what I needed. I needed a way of somehow getting a hold of the nozzle. Obviously I couldn't use my hand because the gap of the door was too small! I also couldn't just nudge it with a stick over because it was too heavy to do so and fidgety. So, how do we do it? Using my student lanyard (you could use any sort of loop/rope/string) I tied to the end of my bendy plank. Then, I shoved the plank through the door and put it underneath the nozzle. Then because it's bendy I could bend it about halfway round the nozzle, now all I needed was to pull the end of the plank towards me to complete the loop so I can then tug it to me using the lanyard attached to the plank. Whilst holding the bendy plank as mentioned, I grabbed the other wooden stick I used before and managed to insert it underneath the lanyard that was tied to the bendy plank. Now it was easy to just pull the lanyard strap towards me and so I now had the strap wrapped round the nozzle and easily just pulled the nozzle to within my reach.

Step 3: Unblocking the doorway. So, we've got a hold of the hoover nozzle, what next? Well all that's left is to lift the hoover up so the door can push it out the way. To do this just pull up the nozzle as hard and high as you can and then the door should open as you lift the hoover up high enough!

Anyone else ever had this situation?

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: Coleslaw's Ultimate Guide to unblocking the doorway when your mum has blocked it by leaving the hoover in front of i

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 27th, 2016, 2:17 pm

No I haven't thankfully, although I've been close on several occasions! :D

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Re: Coleslaw's Ultimate Guide to unblocking the doorway when your mum has blocked it by leaving the hoover in front of i

Postby lucozadesp0rt » January 27th, 2016, 2:29 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:No I haven't thankfully, although I've been close on several occasions! :D

Well if you ever do, you've got this guide to help you :D

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 27th, 2016, 2:33 pm

coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:No I haven't thankfully, although I've been close on several occasions! :D

Well if you ever do, you've got this guide to help you :D

The only thing the door has ever been blocked by is this (she's called Blondie):

By the way are you impressed with CTAM's progress on here?

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:

Return to “Chat”