Weird thing in shop radio

Discuss your favourite tunes and radio stations here. :)
spotify95
A jungle man

Weird thing in shop radio

Postby spotify95 » June 10th, 2017, 11:32 pm

I just thought I'd share something I found rather... strange earlier on.

Earlier today I was having a day out to Hunstanton (North Norfolk Coast), and the preferred transmitter for all services there is Belmont (even for TV), despite being still part of East Anglia. This is due to the Line Of Sight across the Wash (meaning that signals are very strong - even set top TV aerials will work).

What I noticed in one of the shops, was that they were playing a radio station (I couldn't tell what it was, it played similar music to Heart but with more modern songs as well). The radio was a simple CD/radio player, but it had a pen shoved in the radio aerial hole, and the aerial seemed to be completely missing (or snapped off). I couldn't tell what frequency was being picked up (I couldn't see the tuning dial/display) but the signal was fine and it was picking up the station no problem at all!

I can only guess that they were playing Lincs FM and that they were receiving from Belmont, which has a really strong signal for FM, TV and presumably DAB as well.
If only the mobile signal was as good - which it would be if the panels weren't pointing in the wrong direction!

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: Weird thing in shop radio

Postby pinkteddyx64 » June 10th, 2017, 11:33 pm

princechromey wrote:I just thought I'd share something I found rather... strange earlier on.

Earlier today I was having a day out to Hunstanton (North Norfolk Coast), and the preferred transmitter for all services there is Belmont (even for TV), despite being still part of East Anglia. This is due to the Line Of Sight across the Wash (meaning that signals are very strong - even set top TV aerials will work).

What I noticed in one of the shops, was that they were playing a radio station (I couldn't tell what it was, it played similar music to Heart but with more modern songs as well). The radio was a simple CD/radio player, but it had a pen shoved in the radio aerial hole, and the aerial seemed to be completely missing (or snapped off). I couldn't tell what frequency was being picked up (I couldn't see the tuning dial/display) but the signal was fine and it was picking up the station no problem at all!

I can only guess that they were playing Lincs FM and that they were receiving from Belmont, which has a really strong signal for FM, TV and presumably DAB as well.
If only the mobile signal was as good - which it would be if the panels weren't pointing in the wrong direction!

Because of all of this, can I bite James_W?

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » June 10th, 2017, 11:45 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:I just thought I'd share something I found rather... strange earlier on.

Because of all of this, can I bite James_W?

Are you going to add anything constructive, rather than blame James_W for everything? :D

Just goes to show you the importance of "Line Of Sight" and how it can work wonders with radio reception! In fact, I tried as an experiment with my Sony Hifi, to disconnect the in built wire aerial (it has a co-ax socket, and for now I've shoved a telescopic dipole aerial on it, though my eventual plan is to go external) and the Hi-Fi got me a weak mono, but listenable (just), R1-4 from Peterborough, as well as Connect FM from Wellingborough and Heart/Radio Northampton from Northampton. Which are all broadcast at high power (with the exception of Connect, which is only about 5 miles away so should be strong anyway).

I was amazed at the fact that someone had shoved what looked like a pen down the aerial - not that the pen would actually be doing much to help reception... though as I said, if you can effectively get an FM signal from virtually no aerial at all, it just shows that you are in a very strong signal area...

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » June 11th, 2017, 12:05 am

Edit, it wasn't Lincs FM at all, it was Radio 2! :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/tracks/find ... /06/10/3PM

Which means that Radio 2 signal is very strong as well, which is unsurprising, considering the power level according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belmont_t ... tter_power

Having said that, another shop in Hunstanton, with a decent radio and aerial (albeit a wire aerial) was struggling to pick up R2 on 88.8FM? Probably some sort of interference somewhere.

Return to “Music and radio”