Some great news regarding LED street lighting in Scunthorpe

Talk about anything that takes your fancy in this forum (within reason of course)! Includes a dedicated sub-forum for forum games. :cool:
pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Some great news regarding LED street lighting in Scunthorpe

Postby pinkteddyx64 » May 6th, 2017, 10:54 pm

@princechromey First off, I noticed one road I was walking down last night had a faulty street light where it was only a dim pinkish red, and a very loud buzzing sound could be heard coming from inside the lamppost. However, now there is a new lamppost installed in it's place with an LED light, what could the fault have been?

Second here is something that suggests Scunthorpe could see the demise of it's LPS lighting quicker than we think:
Attachments
20170506_212757.jpg
20170506_212757.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 4589 times

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Re: Some great news regarding LED street lighting in Scunthorpe

Postby spotify95 » May 7th, 2017, 12:07 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:@princechromey First off, I noticed one road I was walking down last night had a faulty Street light where it was only a dim pinkish red, and a very loud buzzing sound could be heard coming from inside the lamppost. However, now there is a new lamppost installed in it's place with an LED light, what could the fault have been?

Second here is something that suggests Scunthorpe could see the demise of it's LPS lighting quicker than we think:

Thank goodness for that! Low pressure sodium is useless in regards to giving off actual light (sounds like your faulty LPS light needs a new ballast anyway) and high pressure sodium/metal halide, although giving off a better light quality, are not as efficient as LED (and metal halide requires more maintenance).

If you need to save money on your lighting, don't switch off the lights - get them replaced with LED instead. Switching off lights will just make it darker (especially if LPS is being used). In fact, whenever I find faulty LPS lamps, when reporting them I recommend that they get switched to LED.

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » May 9th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Lamps on my street were converted to LED over 3 years ago :ohyes:

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » May 9th, 2017, 3:11 pm

Kyx wrote:Lamps on my street were converted to LED over 3 years ago :ohyes:

But here North Lincolnshire Council is always years behind everyone else as per usual. :# :rolleyes:

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » May 9th, 2017, 9:38 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
Kyx wrote:Lamps on my street were converted to LED over 3 years ago :ohyes:

But here North Lincolnshire Council is always years behind everyone else as per usual. :# :rolleyes:

At least it's not like Norfolk Council who keep some multi-decade old lamps in service and put new LPS lamps in on some roads!

Although some of Hunstanton's lights have been recently replaced with either LED or HPS, some of the lights are still decades old and look like weird bulbs - might be an early LPS/HPS bulb or may be mercury vapor. I don't know what they are, but they need replacing with LED.

Also, some of the lights on the A47 close to Kings Lynn are starting to tilt away from the road. All are LPS. I have noticed that some have been replaced... with new LPS lamps! LPS is fundamentally unsuitable for street lighting due to their low color rendering index (I think they actually have a minus CRI score) and if I had the money (and time), I'd get them replaced with LED, or something else. However, since they are on a busy main road, they'd need either roadworks/traffic lights (and to do one side at a time) or to get the road closed!

My target is to report every single LPS lamp that I come across, that has some sort of fault, and make sure that the responsible parties get them replaced with LED.

Return to “Chat”