High pressure sodium lamps

Talk about anything that takes your fancy in this forum (within reason of course)! Includes a dedicated sub-forum for forum games. :cool:
spotify95
A jungle man

High pressure sodium lamps

Postby spotify95 » January 6th, 2016, 1:30 pm

Continuation of the CFL lamp thread and the MH lamp thread. Think we need a new subforum dedicated to different lamp types...

Anyway, a bit of a theme is going on here...

I've just seen today's episode of Bargain Hunt on BBC1, see here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... etherby-18

Look at what the Red Team get for their bonus buy! (scroll across to 28:00 on that clip)

What's the chances of them working, or even making any profit?

Expect that to go on YT over the next couple of days ;) as I'll annotate with exactly my comments on such light fittings! :D

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: High pressure sodium lamps

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 6th, 2016, 2:09 pm

spotify95 wrote:Continuation of the CFL lamp thread and the MH lamp thread. Think we need a new subforum dedicated to different lamp types...

I've just seen today's episode of Bargain Hunt on BBC1, see here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... etherby-18

Look at what the Red Team get for their bonus buy! (scroll across to 28:00 on that clip)

Expect that to go on YT over the next couple of days ;) as I'll annotate with exactly my comments on such light fittings! :D
Not much chance. :)

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 6th, 2016, 3:00 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:Continuation of the CFL lamp thread and the MH lamp thread. Think we need a new subforum dedicated to different lamp types...

You're so correct! :)

As for them working, the bulbs looked to be in pretty poor shape, so the bulbs could do with replacing - however, since one of the bulbs is/was blackened, it could be an indication of the "lamp now coming on and off" thing - meaning it'd need a new capacitor and ballast!

Remember, with HPS, LPS, MV, MH, and any other light system that is ballasted, it's not just about the lamp itself!

As for the profit, did you watch the clip? The team went with the dodgy HPS lamps and promptly made a £15 loss. :D

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 6th, 2016, 3:10 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

As for them working, the bulbs looked to be in pretty poor shape, so the bulbs could do with replacing - however, since one of the bulbs is/was blackened, it could be an indication of the "lamp now coming on and off" thing - meaning it'd need a new capacitor and ballast!

Remember, with HPS, LPS, MV, MH, and any other light system that is ballasted, it's not just about the lamp itself!

As for the profit, did you watch the clip? The team went with the dodgy HPS lamps and promptly made a £15 loss. :D
I did! :yep:

Which reminds me last night I had to report another faulty LPS street light! I bet it won't be replaced with an LED as I suggested though! :rolleyes: :doh2:

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 6th, 2016, 6:08 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

Which reminds me last night I had to report another faulty LPS street light! I bet it won't be replaced with an LED as I suggested though! :rolleyes: :doh2:

Let's hope they put an LED in, instead of just repairing the LPS! :doh2:

I've just reported 2x HPS lamps in my area, as they are stuck on during daylight hours (and thus wasting electricity).

Btw, I still don't know why our LPS/HPS/MV lamps in our area are being replaced with PL Fluorescent and Metal Halide, rather than LED!

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 6th, 2016, 6:59 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

Let's hope they put an LED in, instead of just repairing the LPS! :doh2:

I've just reported 2x HPS lamps in my area, as they are stuck on during daylight hours (and thus wasting electricity).

Btw, I still don't know why our LPS/HPS/MV lamps in our area are being replaced with PL Fluorescent and Metal Halide, rather than LED!

And if they just fix the LPS can I put a brick through it and send the repair bill for a new LED light to the TSR offices? :doh2:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 19th, 2016, 7:45 am

What did they end up doing to your LPS light anyway, @pinkteddyx64?

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 19th, 2016, 9:54 am

spotify95 wrote:What did they end up doing to your LPS light anyway, @pinkteddyx64?

Nothing apart from the odd one or two being replaced with LEDs! :(

I've noticed yet another street where just one of the lights is LED based.

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » March 28th, 2017, 8:32 pm

Btw @pinkteddyx64, do you fancy some high pressure sodium lamps?

If so, how about buying these from Luton? I know it's a bit far down south but at only £10 for six HPS lamps, it'd be rather cheap even if you kept them HPS, though ideally you'd want to convert them to LED.

If you have the right equipment, you could put a 40W (or so) COB LED in it, it'd be nice and bright!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272601719723

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » March 28th, 2017, 8:36 pm

princechromey wrote:Btw @pinkteddyx64, do you fancy some high pressure sodium lamps?

If so, how about buying these from Luton? I know it's a bit far down south but at only £10 for six HPS lamps, it'd be rather cheap even if you kept them HPS, though ideally you'd want to convert them to LED.

If you have the right equipment, you could put a 40W (or so) COB LED in it, it'd be nice and bright!

I'll consider it. :)

Btw please could you tell Zak to not post in CTAM by 5s? It's just he told me he was going to with the name £1 coin. :mad: If I'm not to, why should he? :mad:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » March 28th, 2017, 8:39 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:Btw @pinkteddyx64, do you fancy some high pressure sodium lamps?

Btw please could you tell Zak to not post in CTAM by 5s? It's just he told me he was going to with the name £1 coin. :mad: If I'm not to, why should he? :mad:

If I can get the seller to post them to me, I'll do it to get them converted to E27 for Home Bargains color changing LEDs! Though for outdoor use, COB style LEDs will also do.

If this is TSR, then I'm sure @Zak informed me that he would not post there for two months?

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » March 28th, 2017, 8:40 pm

princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

If I can get the seller to post them to me, I'll do it to get them converted to E27 for Home Bargains color changing LEDs! Though for outdoor use, COB style LEDs will also do.

If this is TSR, then I'm sure @Zak informed me that he would not post there for two months?

That'd be awesome! :yep:

I thought that too. :mad:

Return to “Chat”