Metal Halide Lamps at university - any suggestions?

Talk about anything that takes your fancy in this forum (within reason of course)! Includes a dedicated sub-forum for forum games. :cool:
spotify95
A jungle man

Metal Halide Lamps at university - any suggestions?

Postby spotify95 » February 18th, 2015, 9:21 pm

Hi,

Just thought I'd ask you if you knew anything about this....

At university we have loads of old metal halide lamps in the building that I am in. They were probably put in when the building was opened in 1993 - and have had very little maintenance/service work done to them. As such, virtually none of these lamps work anymore.

Some of the fittings need re-lamping (the lamps used to work) but the university probably won't relamp them, due to their age.

A couple of the M/H lamps turn on, then after a minute (if that?) of use, turn themselves back off.

The rest of them - about 15 to 20 fittings - don't work at all. They have power connected to them, and most of them have new lamps.

Any ideas as to what the problems are with these old lamps? If I can work out why they don't work and what needs replacing I can then suggest it to the maintenance people at the university... or at least get them to replace the M/Hs with LEDs!

If you know what's causing it, do you know how they can be repaired?

I'll try and get some more info on these lamps soon.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: Metal Halide Lamps at university - any suggestions?

Postby pinkteddyx64 » February 18th, 2015, 9:47 pm

I'm guessing some possible poor wiring where the quality of the wiring is so poor, interference from signals like WiFi signals is much more likely.

Why don't you "accidentally" smash those lights in hope they will bother to replace them with LED ones, then send Elaine and James W the repair bill for it? :D

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » February 18th, 2015, 9:58 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:I'm guessing some possible poor wiring where the quality of the wiring is so poor, interference from signals like WiFi signals is much more likely.

Why don't you "accidentally" smash those lights in hope they will bother to replace them with LED ones, then send Elaine and James W the repair bill for it? :D

Well yes there is Wi-fi available in DMU Queens building, but I don't know whether that would actually be the cause... 3 of the M\H lamps do work as intended; another 2 cycle on/off; the rest either need re-lamping, or have another issue (could it be the ballast? If so where can you buy ballasts for 20 year old fittings from?)

i know that, at the university, they have a system where all of the faults (that are reported) are logged and updates are posted (i.e. what they have done to cure the problem). when I get to university tomorrow i'll see if I can retrieve some of the info for you - see if you can help me further.

Though I remember that there are plans to change these to LED. if they change them to LED whilst I am still there, I'm going to hopefully salvage the M\H fittings, in order to see if I can get them working again. Smashing the fittings wouldn't help, unless you want me to get billed for damaging university property?

P.s. I'm sure I up loaded the images of the old M\H's somewhere... I'll see if I can find it.

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » February 18th, 2015, 10:05 pm

P.s. I have just managed to find the image that I uploaded. it's this type of lamp:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=bgnx3p&s=8#.VOUMVfmsWSo

I'll try and get some more images of these nasty lamps, as well as a clip of one of the lamps cycling. (Cycling is the name for a lamp turning on, then turning off)

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » February 18th, 2015, 10:34 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:I'm guessing some possible poor wiring where the quality of the wiring is so poor, interference from signals like WiFi signals is much more likely.

Well yes there is Wi-fi available in DMU Queens building, but I don't know whether that would actually be the cause... 3 of the M\H lamps do work as intended; another 2 cycle on/off; the rest either need re-lamping, or have another issue (could it be the ballast? If so where can you buy ballasts for 20 year old fittings from?)

i know that, at the university, they have a system where all of the faults (that are reported) are logged and updates are posted (i.e. what they have done to cure the problem). when I get to university tomorrow i'll see if I can retrieve some of the info for you - see if you can help me further.

Though I remember that there are plans to change these to LED. if they change them to LED whilst I am still there, I'm going to hopefully salvage the M\H fittings, in order to see if I can get them working again. Smashing the fittings wouldn't help, unless you want me to get billed for damaging university property?

P.s. I'm sure I up loaded the images of the old M\H's somewhere... I'll see if I can find it.
The information would be appreciated immensely! :ohyes: I will try my best to help you further! :)

If you get billed for the damage, send the repair bill to: 72 Broadwick Street, London, W1F 9EP.

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » February 19th, 2015, 6:51 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

The information would be appreciated immensely! :ohyes: I will try my best to help you further! :)

If you get billed for the damage, send the repair bill to: 72 Broadwick Street, London, W1F 9EP.

That's the address for digital spy! :D

What would help, is a plan related to DS! :D

On another note: One of the electricians came round today, to have a look at one of the metal halide lamps that had developed a fault. The lamp was buzzing quite loudly - result? The recommendation was made for a new ballast - but the light fittings in question are over 20 years old!

Chances are what will happen, is that all of the M\H's (I also told the electrician about all of the other M\H fittings) are replaced by LED. :)

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » February 19th, 2015, 6:54 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

On another note: One of the electricians came round today, to have a look at one of the metal halide lamps that had developed a fault. The lamp was buzzing quite loudly - result? The recommendation was made for a new ballast - but the light fittings in question are over 20 years old!

Chances are what will happen, is that all of the M\H's (I also told the electrician about all of the other M\H fittings) are replaced by LED. :)

If the replacements are LED, howabout ones that give off a blueish hue? :cool:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » February 19th, 2015, 6:57 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Such as a daylight style color? That would be the best - probably not too blue, but I wouldn't want the "soft white" or "warm white" lights either. Cool white or daylight bulbs (preferably at least 4,000 Kelvins) would be best - the 2,700 Kelvin "warm whites" aren't the best of colors....

As an aside, sometimes metal halide lamps are known to turn a blue-ish color - but that is probably due to a fault in the fitting, such as a bad capacitor.

From what I have found out online: (this is all to do with M\H lamps)

1) If the lamp turns a pinkish color - replace the lamp immediately to avoid ballast damage
2) If the lamp cycles on/off - replace the capacitor; if that doesn't fix it, replace the ballast (a new lamp may be needed)
3) If the fitting makes a buzzing noise - replace the ballast
4) If the lamp turns a blue/green color - replace the capacitor, though the ballast may be weak and it may be a good idea to replace the ballast

Finding replacement lamps is easy enough - and capacitors shouldn't be too difficult either, but finding a replacement for a 20 year old ballast? Yeah, try that....

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » February 19th, 2015, 6:58 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Such as a daylight style color? That would be the best - probably not too blue, but I wouldn't want the "soft white" or "warm white" lights either. Cool white or daylight bulbs (preferably at least 4,000 Kelvins) would be best - the 2,700 Kelvin "warm whites" aren't the best of colors....
Or how about a red colour and call the corridor the red light district? :D

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » February 19th, 2015, 7:03 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Or how about a red colour and call the corridor the red light district? :D

It'd look good but I'm not sure how it'd actually help light up the part of the university in question?

The place where the M\H lamps are, isn't actually a corridor, but a main foyer/concourse area. when I go in tomorrow I may be able to get some photos if it is quiet.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » February 19th, 2015, 7:08 pm

Wouldn't it be cool if your foyer/concourse looked something like this? :cool:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » February 19th, 2015, 9:26 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:Wouldn't it be cool if your foyer/concourse looked something like this? :cool:

Yes it would! That looks like some shopping centre lighting!

But note, look how many fittings are needed to light that area! With the DMU Queens Building concourse, it'd need even more fittings - especially since we have 3 floors of open plan concourse! (I'll try and grab a few photos for you of the concourse, from various floors)

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » February 20th, 2015, 12:13 am

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:Wouldn't it be cool if your foyer/concourse looked something like this? :cool:

But note, look how many fittings are needed to light that area! With the DMU Queens Building concourse, it'd need even more fittings - especially since we have 3 floors of open plan concourse! (I'll try and grab a few photos for you of the concourse, from various floors)

Can you guess where that place in the picture is? ;) Hint: it long since no longer exists. :cry:

Also, can we spit at James_W because the place in the picture has long gone? :mad:

Can we also make James_W replace the lighting for you with LED lights like suggested earlier but also charge him for all the work done and the cost of buying the new lights etc?

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » February 21st, 2015, 6:50 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Can you guess where that place in the picture is? ;) Hint: it long since no longer exists. :cry:

Also, can we spit at James_W because the place in the picture has long gone? :mad:

Can we also make James_W replace the lighting for you with LED lights like suggested earlier but also charge him for all the work done and the cost of buying the new lights etc?

That picture is probably something to do with House Of Fraser in Scunthorpe.

Yes, James_W would be an ideal candidate to replace DMU's lamps - and he'll have to pay for the lot! :D

Just imagine how many lamps would be needed to cover the Queens Building concourse! (I'll get you some images of it on Tuesday)

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » February 21st, 2015, 8:19 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Yes, James_W would be an ideal candidate to replace DMU's lamps - and he'll have to pay for the lot! :D

Just imagine how many lamps would be needed to cover the Queens Building concourse! (I'll get you some images of it on Tuesday)

No, it's to do with the old twin towers in New York. :(

Can we beat up James_W for 9/11?

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » February 21st, 2015, 9:23 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Aah okay, I didn't know this - I haven't seen the Twin Towers before (not that I can remember anyway). I did know about 9/11 though it was a very tragic event. :(

I don't think James_W would be happy with that....

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » February 21st, 2015, 9:25 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Aah okay, I didn't know this - I haven't seen the Twin Towers before (not that I can remember anyway). I did know about 9/11 though it was a very tragic event. :(

I don't think James_W would be happy with that....

Who cares what he thinks about anything though? :D

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » March 11th, 2015, 7:21 pm

Back on topic - I have done a quick count up and there are the best part of 30 M\H lights in the queen building! :banghead:

Only 3 of these lights are working so something really needs to happen, to get these fixed!

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » June 3rd, 2015, 11:14 pm

Update on the metal halide lamps situation:

Total of 32 M/H light fittings in Queens Building of DMU; only 4 of them work presently. The rest need either new lamps, caps, ballasts - or a combination of all 3 parts.

New light fittings have been installed in certain areas - so I am assuming there are plans to replace the M/H's.

I will definitely upload an image of the foyer when the M/H's have been replaced (as well as before the replacement).

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » July 27th, 2015, 8:21 pm

Btw, if I did manage to inherit those old nasty MHs that the university currently have, here would be a good place to start when looking for spares:

http://www.edwardes.co.uk/

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » July 27th, 2015, 8:40 pm

spotify95 wrote:Btw, if I did manage to inherit those old nasty MHs that the university currently have, here would be a good place to start when looking for spares:

Not bad. :)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » July 27th, 2015, 10:09 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:Btw, if I did manage to inherit those old nasty MHs that the university currently have, here would be a good place to start when looking for spares:

Not bad. :)

But unfortunately it's not the cheapest place to buy parts from! Nor do I know if the ballasts will fit! :(

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » July 27th, 2015, 10:51 pm

James_W is going to have big debt to pay off then isn't he? :D

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » August 18th, 2015, 9:46 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:James_W is going to have big debt to pay off then isn't he? :D

Yes, he is. :D

Btw, I have heard that the estates team are looking into the lights situation again, to try and get a quote to replace these lights [presumably with LEDs or other, modern, efficient lights]. This was after I emailed DMUs Estates team to say that only 4/32 fittings are working!

The original work order said:
"Further investigation needed as 16 no don't work"

I then told them that 28 lights don't work (4 are working out of 32 fittings) and the case has been opened with more priority than before. :)

Since the work order has been updated, one other light (that was coming on and off) has now been fixed, making a total of 5 working MHs.

IMO, only 10 LEDs in the right place will give off more light than 32 MHs in the wrong place (even with all of the MHs working!). And all they need are 5 LEDs in the right place, to give off much more light than the 5 MHs that are currently working.

Plus, the LEDs are more modern, thus will have spare parts available (if one breaks or stops working); the LED lamps themselves will last longer (30,000h+ as opposed to about 10,000h of MH); the maintenance will be less demanding (with MHs you have to relamp every 5k-10k hours at the latest to avoid ballast damage); the LEDs will be available in a better light color for the illumination of the foyer (cool white/daylight to simulate the natural light coming through the "skylight" window panels on the roof of Queens' Foyer), and they will be cheaper to operate - using about 10-20W of power per LED fitting, instead of 70W MH fittings that are prone to reliability problems!

And of course, the fittings that have no lamps in them or have other faults will still be using some sort of power consumption, as long as the ballast hasn't given way!

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 28th, 2015, 6:27 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:James_W is going to have big debt to pay off then isn't he? :D

Guess what I've just found on the internet! :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151822304548

A bulk order of over 120 metal halides! :D

That'd be enough to relamp the Queens Building up to 4 times! Thus resulting in the MHs in Queens being serviceable for over 30 years! (Assuming that the capacitor or ballasts don't give way...)

Return to “Chat”