Panasonic CGR18650D cells issue

Talk about anything that takes your fancy in this forum (within reason of course)! Includes a dedicated sub-forum for forum games. :cool:
spotify95
A jungle man

Panasonic CGR18650D cells issue

Postby spotify95 » November 19th, 2017, 9:57 pm

From my recent experiences, I conclude that there is something a bit strange with these Lithium Ion cells...

The "D" in CGR18650D must stand for "detonating", or "dangerous"!

Why is this?
Well, with my recent job lot of laptop batteries, 2 of the battery packs contained these cells, and they both tried posing a risk to me by short circuiting on removal!

On one of the laptop battery packs, I had 2 of these cells short out when I tried disconnecting them from the circuit board, since there were actually 2x circuit boards in use...

On the other, I was disassembling the outer casing of the laptop battery pack, and heard a pop, saw a bit of smoke and smelt an absolutely horrible smell... the cause? When trying to remove the outer casing, my screwdriver had accidentally touched one of the probes on the PCB and shorted out 4 of the cells.

So it seems like these cells like shorting out on things quite nicely...

If you come across a pack with these cells, or have any of them, proceed with extreme caution!

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: Panasonic CGR18650D cells issue

Postby pinkteddyx64 » November 19th, 2017, 10:21 pm

Perfect Christmas present for James_W.

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
JessPlaysGames

Re: Panasonic CGR18650D cells issue

Postby JessPlaysGames » November 19th, 2017, 11:16 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:Perfect Christmas present for James_W.

:rofl:

Return to “Chat”