Announcement: TSR "ad removal pass"

Talk about anything that takes your fancy in this forum (within reason of course)! Includes a dedicated sub-forum for forum games. :cool:
spotify95
A jungle man

Announcement: TSR "ad removal pass"

Postby spotify95 » October 16th, 2017, 5:52 pm

TSR have, within the last 6 hours, rolled out a new "feature" that allows Adblock Plus (ABP) users* to purchase an ad removal pass on their website.

I don't know the exact reasoning for this, but I assume it is to combat the large amount of people who use an ad blocker these days, and instead want users to either pay or switch off the adblocker.

What a user is presented with, is a rather large, intrusive banner inviting you to either "allow ads on The Student Room" or "buy an ad removal pass". You can see what this looks like via the attached file.

Unfortunately, this method of deterring ad blockers is (ultimately) going to backfire. I use ABP for all websites that I visit due to the intrusive nature of some of the adverts on some websites. This includes TSR, who use large adverts at the sides of the page as well as a pop-down advert at the top.
The experience that I have with the mobile version of the TSR site reinforces my decision to use ABP - for example, using my mobile phone (Galaxy S7 Edge) on the mobile version of the TSR site is very difficult and replying to messages is equally difficult. This is due to approximately half of the screen being taken up by ads, as there is a big ad at the top of the page and a smaller ad on the bottom of the page. Ultimately, using the mobile site is not the most pleasant of tasks, and for that reason, I do not use the mobile site as often.

Using TSR on my tablet is better, as the adverts do not take up as much space (in proportion to the amount of space available), but the amount of adverts is still not ideal. Hence, I tend to use TSR on my laptop the most. (I also use my laptop for a substantial proportion of all of my computing requirements, which is another reason for using TSR mostly on my laptop.)

The desktop version of TSR was the most fluid, even though the amount of adverts was still not ideal. However, the desktop version of the site is now completely unusable.This nagging pop up, which has only recently started to appear, takes up 50% of the page on a 15 inch laptop screen, which in my humble opinion, is completely unacceptable. It makes using the site virtually impossible.
If I knew that TSR was in financial troubles (which I guess is the reason for the new draconian message) then I would donate a small amount whenever I could. I don't have lots of money, so a subscription was/is not a feasible option. However, I feel that being obliged to buy an ad free pass is not the answer and will encourage users (including myself!) to go elsewhere.

So, to conclude: I'm certainly not disabling my ABP any time soon, and this is backed up by my experience with the mobile TSR website in recent months. If anything is going to happen, as a result of this, I'll simply leave TSR (whether it be temporarily or for good) and visit another website. Wrongplanet.net have a ton of counting threads; much more so than TSR, and other websites that I use also have more interesting content. Giffgaff have their community, with counting threads in Forum Games, and other interesting topics in general Discussion, and by posting there, I actually get paid for my time and efforts. In fact, if anything, I'll start posting in the counting threads of Digital Spy again, to help them get to two million and truly be the first forum to do it.
This is a shame as I have been with the site since mid 2013, so it'll be a bit upsetting to have to say goodbye. This is especially the case considering that I have enjoyed using the site for so long. Okay, there have been a few iffy moments (most notably when I was warned on TSR for content that was posted here, so thank you Queen Cersei for this), but everyone has a few ups and downs, and saying goodbye due to this reasoning will be especially saddening for me and a major loss to this site, especially to the people in Forum Games who know me so well whereby I am most active.
You can read my full response (and replies) here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showth ... ?t=5002686. Assuming of course, that you either have ABP disabled or have purchased an ad removal pass.

*Adblock Plus, or ABP, is the most common ad blocking extension/application used, however there are other adblockers that are also used, such as uBlock Origin. Some web browsers, such as Flashpeak Slimjet, and Epic Privacy Browser, have ad blockers built into them. However, Adblock Plus is by far the most common adblocker.
Of course, this article applies to all advert blocking software, not just the adblockers mentioned in the above paragraph.
Attachments
TSR Ad Removal Pass.png
TSR Ad Removal Pass.png (237.59 KiB) Viewed 13923 times

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: Announcement: TSR "ad removal pass"

Postby pinkteddyx64 » October 16th, 2017, 6:25 pm

spotify95 wrote:TSR have, within the last 6 hours, rolled out a new "feature" that allows Adblock Plus (ABP) users* to purchase an ad removal pass on their website.

I don't know the exact reasoning for this, but I assume it is to combat the large amount of people who use an ad blocker these days, and instead want users to either pay or switch off the adblocker.

What a user is presented with, is a rather large, intrusive banner inviting you to either "allow ads on The Student Room" or "buy an ad removal pass". You can see what this looks like via the attached file.

Unfortunately, this method of deterring ad blockers is (ultimately) going to backfire. I use ABP for all websites that I visit due to the intrusive nature of some of the adverts on some websites. This includes TSR, who use large adverts at the sides of the page as well as a pop-down advert at the top.
The experience that I have with the mobile version of the TSR site reinforces my decision to use ABP - for example, using my mobile phone (Galaxy S7 Edge) on the mobile version of the TSR site is very difficult and replying to messages is equally difficult. This is due to approximately half of the screen being taken up by ads, as there is a big ad at the top of the page and a smaller ad on the bottom of the page. Ultimately, using the mobile site is not the most pleasant of tasks, and for that reason, I do not use the mobile site as often.

Using TSR on my tablet is better, as the adverts do not take up as much space (in proportion to the amount of space available), but the amount of adverts is still not ideal. Hence, I tend to use TSR on my laptop the most. (I also use my laptop for a substantial proportion of all of my computing requirements, which is another reason for using TSR mostly on my laptop.)

The desktop version of TSR was the most fluid, even though the amount of adverts was still not ideal. However, the desktop version of the site is now completely unusable.This nagging pop up, which has only recently started to appear, takes up 50% of the page on a 15 inch laptop screen, which in my humble opinion, is completely unacceptable. It makes using the site virtually impossible.
If I knew that TSR was in financial troubles (which I guess is the reason for the new draconian message) then I would donate a small amount whenever I could. I don't have lots of money, so a subscription was/is not a feasible option. However, I feel that being obliged to buy an ad free pass is not the answer and will encourage users (including myself!) to go elsewhere.

So, to conclude: I'm certainly not disabling my ABP any time soon, and this is backed up by my experience with the mobile TSR website in recent months. If anything is going to happen, as a result of this, I'll simply leave TSR (whether it be temporarily or for good) and visit another website. Wrongplanet.net have a ton of counting threads; much more so than TSR, and other websites that I use also have more interesting content. Giffgaff have their community, with counting threads in Forum Games, and other interesting topics in general Discussion, and by posting there, I actually get paid for my time and efforts. In fact, if anything, I'll start posting in the counting threads of Digital Spy again, to help them get to two million and truly be the first forum to do it.
This is a shame as I have been with the site since mid 2013, so it'll be a bit upsetting to have to say goodbye. This is especially the case considering that I have enjoyed using the site for so long. Okay, there have been a few iffy moments (most notably when I was warned on TSR for content that was posted here, so thank you Queen Cersei for this), but everyone has a few ups and downs, and saying goodbye due to this reasoning will be especially saddening for me and a major loss to this site, especially to the people in Forum Games who know me so well whereby I am most active.
You can read my full response (and replies) here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showth ... ?t=5002686. Assuming of course, that you either have ABP disabled or have purchased an ad removal pass.

*Adblock Plus, or ABP, is the most common ad blocking extension/application used, however there are other adblockers that are also used, such as uBlock Origin. Some web browsers, such as Flashpeak Slimjet, and Epic Privacy Browser, have ad blockers built into them. However, Adblock Plus is by far the most common adblocker.
Of course, this article applies to all advert blocking software, not just the adblockers mentioned in the above paragraph.

It's a fucking joke, especially when you consider that even DS has never, ever resorted to this method or similar. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I should hope that if you ever do decide to leave TSR either temporarily or permanently that you would start posting on here more often, particularly on CTAM as one thing I'll never, ever do is introduce advertisements on TBAAJ. :nah:

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » October 16th, 2017, 7:13 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:TSR have, within the last 6 hours, rolled out a new "feature" that allows Adblock Plus (ABP) users* to purchase an ad removal pass on their website.

It's a fucking joke, especially when you consider that even DS has never, ever resorted to this method or similar. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I should hope that if you ever do decide to leave TSR either temporarily or permanently that you would start posting on here more often, particularly on CTAM as one thing I'll never, ever do is introduce advertisements on TBAAJ. :nah:

Even when DS charged a £5 registration fee for non ISP email addresses, they still wouldn't resort to these sorts of tactics to bully their users into paying!

I have some good news for you: one of the users there has made a thread about how to combat this problem. Don't know how long the thread will stay up, but it worked for me: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showth ... ?t=5002796

Intrusive adverts are just a no-no, so intrusive pop ups about using an adblock is even worse. I applaud your decision for keeping TBAAJ ad free, and I will definitely help to introduce new improvements on here, come what may.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » October 16th, 2017, 7:57 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

Even when DS charged a £5 registration fee for non ISP email addresses, they still wouldn't resort to these sorts of tactics to bully their users into paying!

I have some good news for you: one of the users there has made a thread about how to combat this problem. Don't know how long the thread will stay up, but it worked for me: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showth ... ?t=5002796

Intrusive adverts are just a no-no, so intrusive pop ups about using an adblock is even worse. I applaud your decision for keeping TBAAJ ad free, and I will definitely help to introduce new improvements on here, come what may.

Unless you were told to take the thread down, would you let the thread stay if you were an ST or SL member?

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » January 10th, 2018, 12:37 pm

I honestly never notice ads on TSR (yes I use mobile app but I do go on the desktop site on laptop and phone)

Return to “Chat”