Giffgaff: £18 per month for 9GB Data! (was 6GB data)

Talk about anything that takes your fancy in this forum (within reason of course)! Includes a dedicated sub-forum for forum games. :cool:
spotify95
A jungle man

Giffgaff: £18 per month for 9GB Data! (was 6GB data)

Postby spotify95 » August 21st, 2017, 6:21 pm

Giffgaff have launched a special offer on their £18 goodybag: for a limited time, the goodybag will now be increased by 50%.

This means you can now get 2000 minutes, unlimited texts and 9GB 4G data for just £18 per month on "the mobile network run by you".
There is also no fixed end date just yet for this. Maybe this could result in a permanent increase for the higher end goodybags in the future?

You can see the announcement here: https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Annou ... p/20716793

This is good for more data hungry users, or for using as a replacement for slow, dodgy wi-fi connections.

This does not affect your entitlement to the Payback scheme* either, where you earn points (which translates to airtime credit, or Paypal cash) based on how many recruits you are able to get on board, and the quality/quantity of posts you make on the Community.

*To qualify for the Payback scheme (including the £5 bonus when activating a referral/affiliate SIM), you must not use/activate the SIM in a phone that has previously had a Giffgaff SIM in it, and you must be eligible to be a member/have not been banned from Giffgaff (and therefore must not violate Giffgaff's T&C's).

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: Giffgaff: £18 per month for 9GB Data! (was 6GB data)

Postby pinkteddyx64 » August 21st, 2017, 6:40 pm

princechromey wrote:Giffgaff have launched a special offer on their £18 goodybag: for a limited time, the goodybag will now be increased by 50%.

This means you can now get 2000 minutes, unlimited texts and 9GB 4G data for just £18 per month on "the mobile network run by you".
There is also no fixed end date just yet for this. Maybe this could result in a permanent increase for the higher end goodybags in the future?

You can see the announcement here: https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Annou ... p/20716793

This is good for more data hungry users, or for using as a replacement for slow, dodgy wi-fi connections.

This does not affect your entitlement to the Payback scheme* either, where you earn points (which translates to airtime credit, or Paypal cash) based on how many recruits you are able to get on board, and the quality/quantity of posts you make on the Community.

*To qualify for the Payback scheme (including the £5 bonus when activating a referral/affiliate SIM), you must not use/activate the SIM in a phone that has previously had a Giffgaff SIM in it, and you must be eligible to be a member/have not been banned from Giffgaff (and therefore must not violate Giffgaff's T&C's).
Excellent. :thumbsup:

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
Zak
The king of the jungle

Postby Zak » August 21st, 2017, 7:08 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:Giffgaff have launched a special offer on their £18 goodybag: for a limited time, the goodybag will now be increased by 50%.

If I had a mobile device, which I don't, I could buy an 02 SIM for £18 which would give 15GB of data and unlimited calls/texts. Hoping to get phone or tablet in next few months. I do have a basic Nokia 2G model 3510i which must be more than 12 years old now!!!

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » August 21st, 2017, 7:41 pm

Zak wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

If I had a mobile device, which I don't, I could buy an 02 SIM for £18 which would give 15GB of data and unlimited calls/texts. Hoping to get phone or tablet in next few months. I do have a basic Nokia 2G model 3510i which must be more than 12 years old now!!!

Didn't even know that O2 was offering 15GB at a similar price, thanks for that! For some people, the O2 SIM would prove to be better (for example, if 9GB wasn't enough, but 15GB was) but others may find the Giffgaff deal to be better (if you post on their community enough, to earn some Payback points, then it makes the goodybag itself cheaper if you redeem the payback points as airtime credit).

If you've got a phone already and you are happy with the phone then get a tablet soon (ideally one with a SIM card slot so you can take it out and about with you if required) - then you could always get a smartphone in a year or two's time, or whenever you feel you need one. 2G won't be going for the foreseeable future, so your 3510i will continue to work for as long as the battery holds a charge, or the internals keep going.

Zak
The king of the jungle

Postby Zak » August 21st, 2017, 7:49 pm

princechromey wrote:
Zak wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

Didn't even know that O2 was offering 15GB at a similar price, thanks for that! For some people, the O2 SIM would prove to be better (for example, if 9GB wasn't enough, but 15GB was) but others may find the Giffgaff deal to be better (if you post on their community enough, to earn some Payback points, then it makes the goodybag itself cheaper if you redeem the payback points as airtime credit).

If you've got a phone already and you are happy with the phone then get a tablet soon (ideally one with a SIM card slot so you can take it out and about with you if required) - then you could always get a smartphone in a year or two's time, or whenever you feel you need one. 2G won't be going for the foreseeable future, so your 3510i will continue to work for as long as the battery holds a charge, or the internals keep going.

OK good advice, thanks. I will buy a tablet soon as I have saved enough cash, not going to buy on credit :nah: Done that in the past and I am still paying it off!!

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » August 22nd, 2017, 9:28 am

Kyx wrote:9 GB I could use in a day...

If you really go through that much data you'll need Three's AYCE data plan, which has FUP of 1000GB. Also comes with 30GB tethering. Not cheap though, was £30+ per month when I last checked.

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » August 22nd, 2017, 2:12 pm

Kyx wrote: :(

Yeah, just checked and it's £32 per month for unlimited data (30GB tetherable). If you can get away with using 30GB data per month, it's £24 per month, or £20 per month on a 12 month term. See here: http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

They also do 8GB data for £14 per month, but if you're going to go for 8GB then you might as well get the new 9GB Giffgaff goodybag, which is £4 more per month without Community Payback (or recruitment Payback), but if you do use their forums and get some payback that way, it'll work out cheaper.

Just wondering out of question, why you are going to be needing a high data allowance? At university, they have wi-fi on the campus and most student accommodation also has internet included?

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » August 22nd, 2017, 5:11 pm

princechromey wrote:

Yeah, just checked and it's £32 per month for unlimited data (30GB tetherable). If you can get away with using 30GB data per month, it's £24 per month, or £20 per month on a 12 month term. See here: http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

They also do 8GB data for £14 per month, but if you're going to go for 8GB then you might as well get the new 9GB Giffgaff goodybag, which is £4 more per month without Community Payback (or recruitment Payback), but if you do use their forums and get some payback that way, it'll work out cheaper.

Just wondering out of question, why you are going to be needing a high data allowance? At university, they have wi-fi on the campus and most student accommodation also has internet included?

When I'm outside walking and watching YouTube :o

YouTube uses a lot of data :(

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » August 22nd, 2017, 8:56 pm

Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

Out of interest, what screen resolution were you using? If you were using 720p, then 480p may still be OK without using as much data?
Likewise, if you are using 1080p (which I don't think you are, as the iP5 doesn't support 1080p) then dropping down to 720p would be better.

I wouldn't recommend using less than 480p, but on mobiles (certainly on screens less than 5 inches) the difference isn't as noticeable.

I'd probably just see how much data the Youtube uses in a month's worth of usage, then go from there. There are apps that will let you know how much data you are using.

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » August 22nd, 2017, 9:17 pm

princechromey wrote:
Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

Out of interest, what screen resolution were you using? If you were using 720p, then 480p may still be OK without using as much data?
Likewise, if you are using 1080p (which I don't think you are, as the iP5 doesn't support 1080p) then dropping down to 720p would be better.

I wouldn't recommend using less than 480p, but on mobiles (certainly on screens less than 5 inches) the difference isn't as noticeable.

I'd probably just see how much data the Youtube uses in a month's worth of usage, then go from there. There are apps that will let you know how much data you are using.

I have it on auto. And the iPhone 5 does support 1080p :yep:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » August 23rd, 2017, 12:29 am

Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:
Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

That surprises me, as I thought the screen on an iP5 was 640x1136 (according to Google), i.e. a 640p screen.

If your Youtube usage is excessive/concerning, in regards to data usage, knock it down to 480p or 720p - especially since the screen itself is only 640p. That will conserve a bit of data.

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » August 23rd, 2017, 10:27 am

princechromey wrote:
Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:
Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

That surprises me, as I thought the screen on an iP5 was 640x1136 (according to Google), i.e. a 640p screen.

If your Youtube usage is excessive/concerning, in regards to data usage, knock it down to 480p or 720p - especially since the screen itself is only 640p. That will conserve a bit of data.

Ok :)

Return to “Chat”