Laptop

Talk about anything that takes your fancy in this forum (within reason of course)! Includes a dedicated sub-forum for forum games. :cool:
JessPlaysGames

Laptop

Postby JessPlaysGames » July 10th, 2017, 10:48 pm

Wifi cut out 32 times so far today

Luckily I'm getting a laptop on Thursday :)

JessPlaysGames

Laptop

Postby JessPlaysGames » July 10th, 2017, 10:48 pm

Wifi cut out 32 times so far today

spotify95
A jungle man

Re: Laptop

Postby spotify95 » July 10th, 2017, 11:20 pm

Kyx wrote:Wifi cut out 32 times so far today

Awesome stuff :) Make sure to get a laptop with at least an intel core i3 processor or above, as a general rule - as well as at least 8GB RAM and at least 500GB storage.

You may have seen the SSD vs HDD discussions on TSR - my view is that, if your laptop has multiple drive slots, so can take two or more drives, have an SSD for the OS and apps, and a larger HDD for files. That way you get the high speed of an SSD as well as the large capacity of a HDD. SSDs over 256GB are expensive though, so if your laptop only has one drive space, make it a 1TB+ HDD and overcompensate a little by getting a slightly better processor :yep:

I got my laptop on Black Friday 2 years ago (as of this year), was an intel i7 with 8GB RAM and a 2TB HDD for £499 (plus £25 for a USB recovery stick and a £100 at the local computer shop in Leicester (when I was at university) for dual booting Win 10 with Win 7). Beats my overheating "Acel Shitspire" 5742 with its i5, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD and its inherent design flaw that lets it cook if you do anything with it.

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » July 11th, 2017, 8:10 am

princechromey wrote:

Awesome stuff :) Make sure to get a laptop with at least an intel core i3 processor or above, as a general rule - as well as at least 8GB RAM and at least 500GB storage.

You may have seen the SSD vs HDD discussions on TSR - my view is that, if your laptop has multiple drive slots, so can take two or more drives, have an SSD for the OS and apps, and a larger HDD for files. That way you get the high speed of an SSD as well as the large capacity of a HDD. SSDs over 256GB are expensive though, so if your laptop only has one drive space, make it a 1TB+ HDD and overcompensate a little by getting a slightly better processor :yep:

I got my laptop on Black Friday 2 years ago (as of this year), was an intel i7 with 8GB RAM and a 2TB HDD for £499 (plus £25 for a USB recovery stick and a £100 at the local computer shop in Leicester (when I was at university) for dual booting Win 10 with Win 7). Beats my overheating "Acel Shitspire" 5742 with its i5, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD and its inherent design flaw that lets it cook if you do anything with it.

I'm just buying my parents' one with its i3 processor :o

Don't know about ram or storage :o

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » July 11th, 2017, 9:38 am

Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

That should be fine for what you need, you can always upgrade things if you needed to.

If you lived in my area you could have had another laptop, there was someone selling a very decent looking i5 powered HP for £100. Don't know if it's still for sale or not

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » July 11th, 2017, 9:48 am

princechromey wrote:
Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

That should be fine for what you need, you can always upgrade things if you needed to.

If you lived in my area you could have had another laptop, there was someone selling a very decent looking i5 powered HP for £100. Don't know if it's still for sale or not

That's awesome

I'm buying this one for £150 but £90 of that was my parents' anyway for my birthday so it's only really £60 :rofl:

Return to “Chat”