DS - Stance on the new rep features (reactions)

Talk about anything that takes your fancy in this forum (within reason of course)! Includes a dedicated sub-forum for forum games. :cool:

Moderators: princechromey, S2M, Kyx, pinkteddyx64

princechromey
Founder and the king of TBAAJ

DS - Stance on the new rep features (reactions)

Postby princechromey » Mar 1st, 2017, 15:53

Here is a post that one of the administrators have made on DS, in regards to the new reputation/reaction system:

Jay Administrator wrote:Hi all

As you've all discovered, with the forum redesign came the ability to react to individual forum posts. Reactions were implemented to enable forum members to engage with another user's content when there wasn't anything substantial to add to a discussion, or when time was an issue.

Reactions have no major implications on the standing of a post - they merely count towards the number of points forum members can accrue (a figure found on individual profile pages) - however, if a particular post reaches a specific (high) number of disagrees, this is an indicator that the post is causing unrest and will result in it becoming buried. Buried posts become greyed out - allowing users to more effortlessly read around them - but leave an option to view them unobstructed if desired.

Reactions are anonymous to everyone but administrators.

We're aware that abuse of the reaction system is a concern. Forum users can react to a post just once in an effort to curtail this. We're also aware that a number of forum members have been going through the posting histories of certain users with the intention of down-voting as many of their posts as they can. We have already taken action against these users, some in the form of bans, however upon reflection this felt harsh for a petty offence. We have instead created a new usergroup that removes the ability to negatively react. Going forward, we will be placing serial abusers in this group permanently.

Thanks

Source: https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussio ... /reactions

So it seems that too many downvotes (or abuse of the downvote feature) will result in the loss of being able to downvote posts. Hmmm, fascist or....?

Zak
No loss of suction

Re: DS - Stance on the new rep features (reactions)

Postby Zak » Mar 1st, 2017, 22:30

princechromey wrote:Here is a post that one of the administrators have made on DS, in regards to the new reputation/reaction system:

As you've all discovered, with the forum redesign came the ability to react to individual forum posts. Reactions were implemented to enable forum members to engage with another user's content when there wasn't anything substantial to add to a discussion, or when time was an issue.

Reactions have no major implications on the standing of a post - they merely count towards the number of points forum members can accrue (a figure found on individual profile pages) - however, if a particular post reaches a specific (high) number of disagrees, this is an indicator that the post is causing unrest and will result in it becoming buried. Buried posts become greyed out - allowing users to more effortlessly read around them - but leave an option to view them unobstructed if desired.

We're aware that abuse of the reaction system is a concern. Forum users can react to a post just once in an effort to curtail this. We're also aware that a number of forum members have been going through the posting histories of certain users with the intention of down-voting as many of their posts as they can. We have already taken action against these users, some in the form of bans, however upon reflection this felt harsh for a petty offence. We have instead created a new usergroup that removes the ability to negatively react. Going forward, we will be placing serial abusers in this group permanently.

Thanks

So it seems that too many downvotes (or abuse of the downvote feature) will result in the loss of being able to downvote posts. Hmmm, fascist or....?

But they won't mind if the upvote feature gets abused in any way? :confused:

pinkteddyx64
Co-founder

Postby pinkteddyx64 » Mar 1st, 2017, 22:32

They should do what TSR does and have only upvoting enabled and have reputation gems available too, first dark green ones then the pale green ones etc. :yep:

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
Zak
No loss of suction

Postby Zak » Mar 1st, 2017, 23:03

pinkteddyx64 wrote:They should do what TSR does and have only upvoting enabled and have reputation gems available too, first dark green ones then the pale green ones etc. :yep:

I'd downvote everything on there :o it's absolutely ruined now :mad: Upgrade? this is a massive Downgrade! Bring back the way it was in 2013 I say :ohyes:

princechromey

Postby princechromey » Mar 1st, 2017, 23:24

Zak wrote:
princechromey wrote:Here is a post that one of the administrators have made on DS, in regards to the new reputation/reaction system:

Thanks

I don't know about the upvote and whether that can be abused or not, but I know that abusing the downvote is not good and can lead to not being able to downvote.

I wonder if DS will make an announcement about the upvote as well? Or, if they find out it gets abused too much, will they completely disable upvoting/downvoting?

pinkteddyx64
Co-founder

Postby pinkteddyx64 » Mar 1st, 2017, 23:27

princechromey wrote:
Zak wrote:

Thanks

I don't know about the upvote and whether that can be abused or not, but I know that abusing the downvote is not good and can lead to not being able to downvote.

I wonder if DS will make an announcement about the upvote as well? Or, if they find out it gets abused too much, will they completely disable upvoting/downvoting?

I don't know but if they do, can I teargas their offices for it?

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
princechromey

Postby princechromey » Mar 2nd, 2017, 22:25

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
Zak wrote:

Thanks

I'm sure you could do. :p

Btw, guess what - two people have disagreed with the forum guidelines! :D :p

See here: https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussio ... guidelines (note the two disagrees)

I wonder if either of the 2 people that disagreed the forum guidelines got banned? :D

pinkteddyx64
Co-founder

Postby pinkteddyx64 » Mar 2nd, 2017, 22:36

princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
Zak wrote:

Thanks

See here: https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussio ... guidelines (note the two disagrees)

I wonder if either of the 2 people that disagreed the forum guidelines got banned? :D

Hopefully not.

princechromey

Postby princechromey » Mar 3rd, 2017, 11:44

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
Zak wrote:

Thanks

Hopefully not.

Well, knowing what DS are like, they could have. Also remember that administrators can see who repped (or negatively repped) what posts.

Zak
No loss of suction

Postby Zak » Mar 3rd, 2017, 12:03

princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
Zak wrote:

Thanks

Hopefully not.

Well, knowing what DS are like, they could have. Also remember that administrators can see who repped (or negatively repped) what posts.

How are you finding the counting on there now @princechromey I've just come from there and it seems the wait between posts has increased to 60 seconds. Then after 60 seconds
has elapsed i get the message "You have posted 1 times within 30 seconds. A spam block is now in effect on your account. You must wait at least 60 seconds before attempting to post again" :confused: :mad:

pinkteddyx64
Co-founder

Postby pinkteddyx64 » Mar 3rd, 2017, 12:07

Zak wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
Zak wrote:

Thanks

Hopefully not.

How are you finding the counting on there now @princechromey I've just come from there and it seems the wait between posts has increased to 60 seconds. Then after 60 seconds
has elapsed i get the message "You have posted 1 times within 30 seconds. A spam block is now in effect on your account. You must wait at least 60 seconds before attempting to post again" :confused: :mad:

Stick to posting on here instead, you'll find it much easier. :thumbsup:

And at least on TSR if someone posts before you do, as soon as you post, it updates with their posts too.

princechromey

Postby princechromey » Mar 3rd, 2017, 13:26

Zak wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
Zak wrote:

Thanks

Hopefully not.

Is this something new they have implemented? Last time I checked (only yesterday in fact) I was fully able to post 5 in a row without any time limit, they had removed the 30 second limit when I last checked.

Maybe they have re-implemented something like this?

princechromey

Postby princechromey » Mar 3rd, 2017, 13:35

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
Zak wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
Zak wrote:

Thanks

Hopefully not.

Stick to posting on here instead, you'll find it much easier. :thumbsup:

And at least on TSR if someone posts before you do, as soon as you post, it updates with their posts too.

The 60 seconds actually resets itself if you try and post within the 30 seconds or 60 seconds. Which is grossly unfair. I can see why TSR (and other forums) have the 30 second post limit, but having a post limit that resets itself if you try and post within the time?

Forget this, I'm not going to post on CTAM anymore on there, I'm just going to post in places where you don't need to multi-post (such as the mobile networks, music, radio etc). If I want to count, I'll help TSR out or I'll help TBAAJ out. As those places are fairer and actually require my assistance. :yep:

princechromey

Postby princechromey » Mar 11th, 2017, 19:38

And.... the dislike/engative rep function has been completely disabled for the time being, due to a bug that was found!

See here: https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussio ... y-disabled

Jay Admin wrote:Hi all,

We have temporarily disabled the Disagree reaction. We have been talking about this feature a lot in the past week and while we still believe the (albeit silent) majority of you are using these as intended (there are 166% more positive reactions than Disagrees made per day for those that like figures), we have identified a bug that means we need to turn off the Disagree button.

We could have left the button on but as more and more users discovered the bug, we feared it would open the system up to abuse so we have taken the steps necessary to remove it from the forum while we solve the issue. There is no current ETA on this.

While the button is disabled, all Disagrees will have been removed from your profile. Any reactions already made will still be there once it returns - it is just paused.

We want to make it clear that we have not removed it, nor is this because of a number of disagrees (see what we did there?) with the function. Our stats show that a large proportion of the forum are utilizing the Reaction feature, despite what a select few in General Discussion would have you believe, and as mentioned above we are seeing only a small number of Disagrees in comparison to the usage of the Funny, Love or Agree button being made daily.

We will keep you updated.

Jay

Return to “General Discussion”