Please rate this lighting

Talk about anything that takes your fancy in this forum (within reason of course)! Includes a dedicated sub-forum for forum games. :cool:
pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Please rate this lighting

Postby pinkteddyx64 » February 25th, 2016, 8:58 pm

@spotify95 What impression do you get of the lighting at this store? ;)

It was taken in Poundland and I got into trouble for taking these pictures.
Attachments
WIN_20160224_155134.JPG
WIN_20160224_155134.JPG (348.86 KiB) Viewed 8427 times
WIN_20160224_155119.JPG
WIN_20160224_155119.JPG (455.19 KiB) Viewed 8427 times

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Re: Please rate this lighting

Postby spotify95 » February 25th, 2016, 10:30 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:@spotify95 What impression do you get of the lighting at this store? ;)

A load of old 3ft T8 fluoro's, which is not uncommon in quite a few high street shops (2 of which appear to be dead - looks like someone needs to get a new ballast!) and those weird 3 spotlights.

With regards to the latter, they appear to look like crappy MH lights - not recommended anywhere where you can't maintain them!

The fire escape sign looks like a small fluoro (possibly T5, or a very small T8), and what those curved, shiny down lights are doing there is anyone's guess! They are usually PL type CFL lamps, and are very underpowered compared to the 2ft T8 fluoros!

And with that, I think I've covered all of the different types of lights in those images.

My opinion? A bit outdated but not the worst I've seen.
My recommendations? Get the curvy reflector shiny down lights gone, and replace the 2ft T8 fluoro's with 4ft T8's, or even T5's (the latter being more efficient). Plus there's not any need to have 4 in a fitting - 2 will suffice. And get rid of those 3 spotlights - if you need any spotlights (in certain areas), get some LEDs put in, or for downlighters, you could even try PL type CFLs. But I'd personally just stick with fluoros or LED spotlights. And the old fire exit signs can be replaced with LEDs.

That covers just about everything.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » February 25th, 2016, 11:01 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:@spotify95 What impression do you get of the lighting at this store? ;)

A load of old 3ft T8 fluoro's, which is not uncommon in quite a few high street shops (2 of which appear to be dead - looks like someone needs to get a new ballast!) and those weird 3 spotlights.

With regards to the latter, they appear to look like crappy MH lights - not recommended anywhere where you can't maintain them!

The fire escape sign looks like a small fluoro (possibly T5, or a very small T8), and what those curved, shiny down lights are doing there is anyone's guess! They are usually PL type CFL lamps, and are very underpowered compared to the 2ft T8 fluoros!

And with that, I think I've covered all of the different types of lights in those images.

My recommendations? Get the curvy reflector shiny down lights gone, and replace the 2ft T8 fluoro's with 4ft T8's, or even T5's (the latter being more efficient). Plus there's not any need to have 4 in a fitting - 2 will suffice. And get rid of those 3 spotlights - if you need any spotlights (in certain areas), get some LEDs put in, or for downlighters, you could even try PL type CFLs. But I'd personally just stick with fluoros or LED spotlights. And the old fire exit signs can be replaced with LEDs.

Thanks for the interesting insight! :H

Those spotlights are there because the store was originally Peacocks clothing.

I got into trouble because a member of staff asked what I was doing and I ignored him and as I walked out the store he said fine then ignore me but I saw what you did.

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » February 25th, 2016, 11:11 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Thanks for the interesting insight! :H

Those spotlights are there because the store was originally Peacocks clothing.

I got into trouble because a member of staff asked what I was doing and I ignored him and as I walked out the store he said fine then ignore me but I saw what you did.

No problem, and it's best not to ignore people, as you've just proved! They can't do anything about it, it's not like the store is copyrighted eh?

Funny you should say that because that lighting setup on the ceiling (the short fluoro's, in a 4 tube fitting) is pretty much exactly what my local Peacocks store has, except for the spotlights! However, our Peacocks has a strange bar of 3 halogen spotlights, which have either been turned off or stopped working for ages now. (The fitting needs removing or LED'ing.)

lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » February 26th, 2016, 2:55 pm

Those three spotlight ones are weird...
I've noticed that around my area we've had new streetlights installed. They glow bright white instead of dark orange colours and the design in the bulb is intriguing, it's like four square lights?

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » February 26th, 2016, 3:57 pm

coleslaw wrote:Those three spotlight ones are weird...
I've noticed that around my area we've had new streetlights installed. They glow bright white instead of dark orange colours and the design in the bulb is intriguing, it's like four square lights?

The three spotlight ones are probably metal halide capsules... They're not needed though, as there are plenty of 2ft T8 fluoro's!

As for your new streetlights, you'll have to go outside just before it gets dark and take a photo - then upload it onto here. They could be a type of LED, but I don't know unless I see them. The old ones are almost certainly Low Pressure Sodium (LPS) bulbs, as they are the only ones that glow a deep orange color. Plus, they tend to give off more glare than actual light, which is no good!

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » February 27th, 2016, 12:55 am

I have noticed that new LED street lighting is rapidly springing up around various streets here in Scunthorpe but sadly the street lighting on the road I live on doesn't yet have such lighting. :moon: :(

At least it is HPS being used on my street rather than LPS. But I am still highly tempted to throw bricks at them so that the council will put LED ones in their place! :rofl:

lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » February 27th, 2016, 12:43 pm

spotify95 wrote:

The three spotlight ones are probably metal halide capsules... They're not needed though, as there are plenty of 2ft T8 fluoro's!

As for your new streetlights, you'll have to go outside just before it gets dark and take a photo - then upload it onto here. They could be a type of LED, but I don't know unless I see them. The old ones are almost certainly Low Pressure Sodium (LPS) bulbs, as they are the only ones that glow a deep orange color. Plus, they tend to give off more glare than actual light, which is no good!

Currently at my dads so ill have to take a photo once i go back! I tried before but it was too bright! and my phone doesnt have that good camera quality so ill have a search online if i can find the same type

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » February 27th, 2016, 1:06 pm

coleslaw wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Currently at my dads so ill have to take a photo once i go back! I tried before but it was too bright! and my phone doesnt have that good camera quality so ill have a search online if i can find the same type

Please can you come here to Scunthorpe and destroy all the LPS street lights? Thanks.

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » February 27th, 2016, 2:18 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:

I have noticed that new LED street lighting is rapidly springing up around various streets here in Scunthorpe but sadly the street lighting on the road I live on doesn't yet have such lighting. :moon: :(

At least it is HPS being used on my street rather than LPS. But I am still highly tempted to throw bricks at them so that the council will put LED ones in their place! :rofl:

If they are HPS, then it's not as urgent as if it was LPS. I think thats why you may not get LED just yet - they're probably going to focus on doing all of the LPS lights first, then do the others afterwards, such as HPS, MV, MH etc.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » February 27th, 2016, 2:38 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

If they are HPS, then it's not as urgent as if it was LPS. I think thats why you may not get LED just yet - they' re my s probably going to focus on doing all of the LPS lights first, then do the others afterwards, such as HPS, MV, MH etc.

There is one such HPS light on my side of the road which was constantly flickering and eventually stopped working altogether so chance are that my get replaced with an LED.

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » February 27th, 2016, 3:20 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

If they are HPS, then it's not as urgent as if it was LPS. I think thats why you may not get LED just yet - they' re my s probably going to focus on doing all of the LPS lights first, then do the others afterwards, such as HPS, MV, MH etc.

There is one such HPS light on my side of the road which was constantly flickering and eventually stopped working altogether so chance are that my get replaced with an LED.

In which case, either the lamp or ballast has given way on it.

If it's the lamp, they'll probably put a new HPS bulb in.

If it's the ballast, they`ll probably replace with an LED.

Return to “Chat”