Free Batteries For Life

Talk about anything that takes your fancy in this forum (within reason of course)! Includes a dedicated sub-forum for forum games. :cool:
spotify95
A jungle man

Free Batteries For Life

Postby spotify95 » November 11th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Ever wondered if you could get perfectly good batteries for free?

Well, it is possible!

Here is an article that I have found on the matter:
https://therecycleranch.wordpress.com/2 ... A6-really/

Yep, it is possible to get free batteries!

The article does say about recharging alkalines, but personally I wouldn't bother. The main thing is, it shows the possibility of getting free batteries that would otherwise be thrown into the waste.

Here is a video that I found about this recycling of batteries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_uqlFt5iks (This video was what prompted me to look into the idea of getting free batteries.)

After finding out about this, I started having a look into it myself. At the university, there are lots of battery recycling containers all over the campus - and luckily for me, the people in the Engineering department of DMU know me very well. Hence, they let me empty their battery waste boxes when they get full. The batteries that are found to be dead are sent to the main recycling area in DMU, whereas all of the good batteries (in most cases, over 50% of the batteries collected) are salvaged and kept for reuse. This means that DMU have less battery waste to deal with, and I get free batteries!

Amazingly, I sometimes find a few rechargeable Ni-MH batteries in the waste containers - the people that put them in there probably thought that they were alkaline! A quick charge at home revealed that the vast majority of rechargeable Ni-MH batteries were perfectly fine to use.

If only everyone did this... it'd save the amount of batteries going to landfill AND save people money as they won't have to buy as many batteries!

What do you think about this idea? Have you tried doing this before? Discuss... :)

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: Free Batteries For Life

Postby pinkteddyx64 » November 11th, 2015, 8:56 pm

No I've never tried it before but for several years have been toying with the idea of doing something like that though! :ohyes: :H

I might have to arrange to meet up with you at your university sometime and if so at one of those walkways in that building you showed me pictures of! :ohyes:

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » December 17th, 2015, 6:09 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:No I've never tried it before but for several years have been toying with the idea of doing something like that though! :ohyes: :H

I might have to arrange to meet up with you at your university sometime and if so at one of those walkways in that building you showed me pictures of! :ohyes:

Well, just a quick update - found out the location of yet another recycle bin and have recently emptied it. :)

Got a nice bumper haul of batteries again - including a couple of 7.4 V rechargeable Li-Ion battery packs - the best part? All the batteries were free, and less than 30% of the batteries tested (which was mostly comprised of the batteries that had leaked/corroded) went to the waste collection point in LEC GH (Leicester Campus, Gateway House). The rest of the batteries were still good - and there were an awful lot of new AAA batteries in that pile of saved batteries!

You should really have a go at doing this, you could end up never having to buy a battery ever again!

lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » January 7th, 2016, 7:59 pm

I sort of get free batteries :D My dad works at a Council supplies warehous that deals with many goods that are to be distributed around the council area. He sometimes steals a few goods here and there and he brings back about 1000+ duracell procell batteries every month :D AA and AAA the whole lot.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 7th, 2016, 8:22 pm

coleslaw wrote:I sort of get free batteries :D My dad works at a Council supplies warehous that deals with many goods that are to be distributed around the council area. He sometimes steals a few goods here and there and he brings back about 1000+ duracell procell batteries every month :D AA and AAA the whole lot.

Can me and spotify95 have some too? ;)

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 7th, 2016, 8:29 pm

coleslaw wrote:I sort of get free batteries :D My dad works at a Council supplies warehouse that deals with many goods that are to be distributed around the council area. He sometimes steals a few goods here and there and he brings back about 1000+ duracell procell batteries every month :D AA and AAA the whole lot.

That's good to hear! :) So you get free batteries as well! :)

The duracell procells are pretty expensive to buy as well!

Do you know of where the nearest battery recycling points are to you? Because that's where I get my free batteries from, and I have got very good yields as well. I must have the best part of 250 AA batteries at university (and another 50 that I have used in the meantime, that I bought home), and quite possibly up to 50 AAA's as well :)

When I next go into university, either tomorrow or Monday, I'm going round the whole campus to see if I can pick up some more free recycled batteries! :)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 7th, 2016, 8:30 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:I sort of get free batteries :D My dad works at a Council supplies warehous that deals with many goods that are to be distributed around the council area. He sometimes steals a few goods here and there and he brings back about 1000+ duracell procell batteries every month :D AA and AAA the whole lot.

It'd be good if we could ;) :yep:

Also, have you tried the recycle bin thing yet? If you've got a multimeter somewhere, it's definitely a good idea as you'll be soon on your way to free batteries :)

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 7th, 2016, 8:30 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

Also, have you tried the recycle bin thing yet? If you've got a multimeter somewhere, it's definitely a good idea as you'll be soon on your way to free batteries :)

No, not yet. :nah:

lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » January 7th, 2016, 9:39 pm

spotify95 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:I sort of get free batteries :D My dad works at a Council supplies warehouse that deals with many goods that are to be distributed around the council area. He sometimes steals a few goods here and there and he brings back about 1000+ duracell procell batteries every month :D AA and AAA the whole lot.

That's good to hear! :) So you get free batteries as well! :)

The duracell procells are pretty expensive to buy as well!

Do you know of where the nearest battery recycling points are to you? Because that's where I get my free batteries from, and I have got very good yields as well. I must have the best part of 250 AA batteries at university (and another 50 that I have used in the meantime, that I bought home), and quite possibly up to 50 AAA's as well :)

When I next go into university, either tomorrow or Monday, I'm going round the whole campus to see if I can pick up some more free recycled batteries! :)

I've never seen a battery recycling point in my life! Never have to salvage them since my dad keeps me topped up on em :D

lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » January 7th, 2016, 9:40 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:

I don't want to grass my dad up :D he almost got fired for stealing some expensive headphones! AKG brand if i recall

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 7th, 2016, 9:41 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

No, not yet. :nah:

You should try it, I've been very successful :)

Who knows how many batteries I will pick up tomorrow or Monday (when I next go in)?

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 7th, 2016, 11:26 pm

coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

I don't want to grass my dad up :D he almost got fired for stealing some expensive headphones! AKG brand if i recall

Why, who caught him? :doh2:

lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » January 8th, 2016, 12:42 am

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

Some anonymous worker grassed him up! He got off a warning though and the company needs him because he's the best forklift handler in the county :D

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 8th, 2016, 1:02 am

coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

Some anonymous worker grassed him up! He got off a warning though and the company needs him because he's the best forklift handler in the county :D

He may be able to sue TSR because of whoever grassed him up! ;)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 8th, 2016, 6:14 pm

coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

Tell him to sue James_W for it! :yep:

As an aside, you'll be amazed at what happened today... found the locations of several more battery recycling containers!

Further, some of the ones that I had previously emptied, had filled up again... result? More free batteries for me!

I haven't tested them yet (will do so on Monday, when I get back) but expect a bumper haul of batteries! There must be close to 300 batteries picked up today. Plus, I noticed that a few of them were Ni-MHs! :)

Why anyone would throw away a perfectly good Ni-MH rechargeable battery, I wouldn't know...

lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » January 8th, 2016, 8:14 pm

spotify95 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

As an aside, you'll be amazed at what happened today... found the locations of several more battery recycling containers!

Further, some of the ones that I had previously emptied, had filled up again... result? More free batteries for me!

I haven't tested them yet (will do so on Monday, when I get back) but expect a bumper haul of batteries! There must be close to 300 batteries picked up today. Plus, I noticed that a few of them were Ni-MHs! :)

Why anyone would throw away a perfectly good Ni-MH rechargeable battery, I wouldn't know...

Who is this James_W fella? I've seen you two mention him on here and on TSR a few times :confused:

Surely those batteries you're getting are nearly dead or half dead? people wouldnt throw them away if they were full would they? and i have some Ni-MH batteries :D great for xbox because the controllers seem to run out every few days or so :mad:

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 8th, 2016, 8:23 pm

coleslaw wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

Who is this James_W fella? I've seen you two mention him on here and on TSR a few times :confused:

Surely those batteries you're getting are nearly dead or half dead? people wouldnt throw them away if they were full would they? and i have some Ni-MH batteries :D great for xbox because the controllers seem to run out every few days or so :mad:

spotify95 vented his frustration on the Virgin Media forums over the dissatisfaction of his Virgin Mobile service and one of the moderators there called James_W didn't like what he posted so sent him a harshly worded letter threatening to cut off his service. :mad:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 8th, 2016, 9:43 pm

coleslaw wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

PT explained it quite nicely, he's the administrator on the VM forums. He didn't like me complaining about my service and how I used my account, so he permanently banned me - and at the same time, sent a nasty letter to my parents, threatening to disconnect their Internet connection.

James_W has also been nasty to PT as well - sending weird phone calls across to American hotels when PT used the VM forums! :cry: :thumbsdown: :mad: :eek: :rolleyes: :doh2:

As for the batteries, you'll be surprised as to what I have found before. The vast majority of batteries have enough power in them to run low to medium power applications (i.e. clocks, portable radios, remotes, some MP3 players etc). Some of the batteries were nearly new and could be used on pretty much anything.

Ni-MH's are great for anything that chews through batteries a lot. Whenever I use my Nintendo Wii, I use Ni-MHs, because the controllers chew through AAs. I also have a portable radio that runs off of, and charges, Ni-HM batteries - that seems to need recharging quite often, so imagine how it'd chew through standard alkalines....

In the Youtube video in the OP, I made a few notes in the comments section about how well my yields were on previous collections. I'll update this thread with my success rates. Furthermore, I collected batteries from several bins today (think I done about 7 in total?) so should have loads of batteries to go through on Monday. I wonder, how many of them will be brand new? ;)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 9th, 2016, 11:19 pm

coleslaw wrote:Surely those batteries you're getting are nearly dead or half dead? people wouldnt throw them away if they were full would they? and i have some Ni-MH batteries :D great for xbox because the controllers seem to run out every few days or so :mad:

Well, I've decided to grab the statistics that I had saved, so that everyone on here can see how well the success rate was.
Note: A "good" battery is defined as any battery with the following voltages: (1.5V) 1.0 - 1.45V; (3V) 2.7 - 3.0V; (9V) 6.0 - 8.5V.
A "new" battery is defined as: (1.5V) 1.45V or higher, (3.0V) 3.0V or higher; (9.0V) 8.5V or higher.

Test 1: June 2015
I went through one of the university's "battery waste" containers today, which is where most batteries are put into for recycling.
Most of the appliances I use, that take AA/AAA/C/9V batteries, are low or medium drain (I don't use D's that much), so for me, any voltage above 1.0V is good enough.
Tested 85 batteries (using a multimeter), 49 of them had a suitable voltage. There were even some 3V batteries, and 9V batteries that had been thrown out - which still had enough juice in them.
I know that current will also be a factor but virtually all batteries I have previously bought and tested (via a multimeter, for voltage) have worked without any issues. Only one battery failed, and that was probably a decade old (or older!) when tested.
Good/New batteries (combined): 49
Total batteries tested: 85
Success Rate: 57.6%

Test 2: Oct 15, 2015
Went through a couple of battery recycle bins again in one of the university buildings. Got a range of batteries, from standard batteries (AAA - D) to lithium CR123s. Even got 10x NiMH batteries - why would people throw those out?
Breakdown of batteries:
AAA x16
AA x73
C x14
D x2
PP3 9V x9
3V x3 (2x 123, 1x 2032)
NiMH x10
Tot: 129 batteries

Got a 67% success rate - and most of the Ni-MHs took a charge nicely. :yep:

Test 3: Nov 9, 2015
Found another couple of rooms at university with battery waste containers - result? Emptied them both.
Detailed check of the battery haul:
Tested: 117 Batteries
Good: 37
Nearly New: 38
Ni-MH: 7

Only 35 batteries were binned.
Success rate: 70%. Yes, 70% of those batteries were still good!

Test 4: Dec 17, 2015
Well all is good for me in terms of battery supplies - managed to track down another couple of battery bins. Emptied one of them today - again had a very good success rate. I didn't take any numbers for the amount of batteries that were thrown out, but I can say that the vast majority of batteries were usable and/or new, with the dead batteries mostly being comprised of batteries that had leaked.
So far, so good. Just think, I might even be able to sell these batteries to university students who need batteries for their projects!

Test 5: Jan 8, 2016

Managed to empty 7 battery bins - including a couple that had previously been emptied (they had filled up again!). Haven't done the sums yet but I'm sure there were close to 300 batteries in that haul - again, with a few Ni-MHs in there too. I'll update this on Monday, when I have done the sums - but expect it to be the biggest haul yet, in terms of batteries salvaged!

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 11th, 2016, 12:18 pm

@coleslaw @pinkteddyx64

Now that's what I call a success! :D

Tested the lot and got the following results from Friday's massive haul:

Dead batteries: 227
Good batteries: 360
New batteries: 126
Ni-MH batteries: 18

Total tested: 731

Success Rate (ratio of good+new batteries to total batteries): 68.94%

Result!

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 11th, 2016, 2:24 pm

spotify95 wrote:@coleslaw @pinkteddyx64

Result!

The shops will stop selling batteries at this rate! ;) :D

lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » January 12th, 2016, 7:10 pm

Result!

68% very nice! :D is that the highest rate you've had?

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 12th, 2016, 7:37 pm

coleslaw wrote:

Result!

68% very nice! :D is that the highest rate you've had?

It was very nice, yes :)

That wasn't the highest rate I got - the highest rate was when I emptied a battery bin where the IT AV area is - they chew through batteries and I got a 93% success rate when I last emptied that bin.

However, the most recent collection was the biggest collection I have done, in terms of number of batteries.

I'm definitely going to continue this - who knows, possibly empty every recycling bin in the university before the time I finish university studies? ;)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 14th, 2016, 5:35 pm

Done another one today - was quite a small one this time, but nevertheless a 79% success rate and only 7 dead batteries. Result!

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » February 2nd, 2016, 7:49 pm

Another nice result, from yesterday's haul! :)

Retrieved a total of 243 batteries - 153 were still good, and a further 39 were nearly new batteries. Amazingly, 12 Ni-MH rechargeable batteries were found!

Only 39 batteries (out of the 243 tested) were confined to the recycle bin, due to being either dead or leaking.

Success rate for that result: 79.01%.

Also managed another haul of batteries today, from a completely new room - will look through those on Thursday!

Return to “Chat”