DMU Queens Building Foyer

Talk about anything that takes your fancy in this forum (within reason of course)! Includes a dedicated sub-forum for forum games. :cool:
spotify95
A jungle man

DMU Queens Building Foyer

Postby spotify95 » October 8th, 2015, 10:15 pm

Attached are a few photos of the DMU Queens Building that I took earlier on today - what do you think of the building? What impression does it give?

Let me know what you think!

EDIT: See recent update 01/12/2018

@kyx @pinkteddyx64 @coleslaw
Attachments
20140918_112404.jpg
20140918_112404.jpg (112.02 KiB) Viewed 18916 times
20151008_115203.jpg
20151008_115203.jpg (371.4 KiB) Viewed 18954 times
20151008_114924.jpg
20151008_114924.jpg (318.89 KiB) Viewed 18954 times
20151008_114851.jpg
20151008_114851.jpg (351.39 KiB) Viewed 18954 times
20151008_114822.jpg
20151008_114822.jpg (315.76 KiB) Viewed 18954 times
20151008_114805.jpg
20151008_114805.jpg (217.66 KiB) Viewed 18954 times
20151008_114751.jpg
20151008_114751.jpg (328.8 KiB) Viewed 18954 times
20151008_114727.jpg
20151008_114727.jpg (373.82 KiB) Viewed 18954 times
20151008_114717.jpg
20151008_114717.jpg (328.51 KiB) Viewed 18954 times

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: DMU Queens Building Foyer

Postby pinkteddyx64 » October 10th, 2015, 12:34 pm

Awesome building! :ohyes:

Just a shame about the lighting. :(

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » October 12th, 2015, 7:30 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:Awesome building! :ohyes:

Just a shame about the lighting. :(

Yes, it's definitely a shame about the nasty old Metal Halide bulbs not working! :banghead:

I managed to speak to one of the electricians today (who had come round to replace a light bulb in one of the labs) and they confirmed that the MHs were/are probably the original fittings since the Queens Building was opened in 1993. Which makes said fittings over 20 years old.

They also had the same opinion as me - that the fittings were put in hard to reach areas, and corners - which are far from optimal for giving off as much light as possible - and are even worse in terms of maintenance! Remember that the MHs have to be relamped before they burn out, in order to avoid damaging the ballasts.

To prove our points, look at the first image. I was standing on the first floor, pointing the camera up to an ancient MH fitting on the 3rd floor. You'd need quite a long ladder to climb on to the ceiling of the entrance to a nearby lecture theatre (not pictured, would be at the bottom left corner of the photo) and then a bloody huge long ladder to get from the 1st/2nd floor to the MH on floor 3! And some of these fittings are even worsley positioned - the fitting in the 5th photo cannot be easily accessed from any floor (the photo was taken from a 3rd floor flyover/bridge) and one of the fittings (not pictured) is right up on the 3rd floor and only accessible via a big long ladder from the GROUND floor!

At least there are plans to upgrade these fittings to LED - hopefully the foyer will look much better then. :yep:

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » October 12th, 2015, 10:22 pm

Can we send James_W up there with a really long ladder to put new LED lights in place then bill him for it all? ;)

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » October 13th, 2015, 8:51 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:Can we send James_W up there with a really long ladder to put new LED lights in place then bill him for it all? ;)

Tbh I highly doubt that a long ladder would be sufficient - some of those MHs are in incredibly difficult to get to areas. For example, the MH fitting that I pictured from the 3rd floor, across the bridge, has little to no access to it whatsoever. There is no access via the 3rd floor bridge, and since the 1st floor is basically a flyover over the ground floor, I'd doubt it would be safe enough to use a ladder from the 1st floor up to the 3rd floor.

If you look at the bottom image, you'll see what I mean - the flyover/walkway in the center (going into the background) is the first floor walkway. If you look closely, you'll see there is a seating area - directly above that, at the top of the image, is the bottom bit of the 3rd floor flyover. I was standing on that flyover to get the image 4th from the bottom - i.e. a M\H light that has little to no accessibility at all. It would be inherently unsafe to put a ladder from said 1st floor walkway/flyover up to the fitting (especially during teaching hours as that walkway is in constant use!); there is no access via the 3rd floor; and the first floor walkway blocks any access from the ground floor. Doh! :doh2:

The whole thing needs to be done in out of hours times - and the only viable means of access would be via a hoist system, or (ideally) scaffolding. That way, if a secure scaffold could be made, from the ground floor, then you'd be able to access all of the fittings that are otherwise hard to access - even the ones that are on the 3rd floor.

Wrt the LED replacements... you'd get away with just 5 LEDs (positioned correctly) to match the current light output from the MHs, and 8-10 LEDs would comfortably outperform the MHs. Especially considering that most of the MHs were put in either unnecessary or hard to reach places.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » October 13th, 2015, 10:22 pm

Who cares about safety, it IS James_W we are talking about doing this, right? :D

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » October 14th, 2015, 12:09 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:Who cares about safety, it IS James_W we are talking about doing this, right? :D

If it was the university contractors.... they'd have to use a hoist or scaffolding.

If it was James_W, as in your scenario.... just send him up with a ladder. He'll suffice.

However, what you don't want, is for James_W to fall and break a lot of bones, especially if he was in the middle of fitting a light to the wall, because that'd break either the MH that is coming down, or the LED that is going up! :(

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » November 11th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Just a quick update on the situation:

I have managed to get a few more pics of the Queens foyer - in particular, how some of the nasty light fittings are pretty much inaccessible. Who puts a lightbulb in such a place, that you can't maintain it?

Also, one of the lights was buzzing loudly a few days ago - but they could not reach it to turn it off as it is also inaccessible! :( :doh2:

Summary of attachments:

Attachment 1: note the MH fitting at the top of that wall. That is level with the 3rd floor and was taken from the GROUND floor. No accessibility without a huge long ladder from the Ground Floor.
Attachment 2: A couple more MHs - the lower one just above the 1st floor may just be accessible, but the upper fitting (which is level with the 3rd floor)? Only accessible via a long ladder from 1st floor. Note the angle at which the top fitting is pointing - not good at all as it is just lighting up a tall section of wall!
Attachment 3: More inaccessible MH fittings. Shot was taken from the 1st floor flyover. Bottom fitting might just be accessible but the top one is level with the 3rd floor flyover. The bridge is too far over, so no accessibility from there. Your only hope is to precariously balance a ladder from the flyover on floor 1.
Attachment 4: Couple more tall halides, again level with the 3rd floor. The fitting on the right of that has little to no accessibility whatsoever. Your best bet would be to use a hoist - as there is no room for a ladder from either the first floor or the ground floor!

I wonder what James_W would think about it if he was forced to remove all 32 of the MH fittings, including the photographed "inaccessible" fittings?

Let's hope that when the university replace these fittings, the replacement LEDs are lower down the walls and are otherwise much easier to access! Metal Halide lights require a lot of maintenance, so why someone would mount the fittings where they did, we will never know...
Attachments
20151110_133314[1].jpg
20151110_133314[1].jpg (201.66 KiB) Viewed 18871 times
20151110_115636[1].jpg
20151110_115636[1].jpg (126 KiB) Viewed 18871 times
20151110_115610[1].jpg
20151110_115610[1].jpg (230.14 KiB) Viewed 18871 times
20151110_115549[1].jpg
20151110_115549[1].jpg (202.16 KiB) Viewed 18871 times

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 19th, 2017, 11:48 am

Well, some of the lamps have been replaced in Queens since my last update, including some halogen lamps that were near one of the lecture rooms (close to the area shown in the 2nd to last photo in the OP) but the 32 MH fittings are still there, and again, just 5 of the fittings are working. Since one of my visits last year, one of the very tall halides has stopped working, and since I don't think it is the lamp that has failed, and it had already been started (so I don't think the ignitor is the blame) then it must either be a capacitor or a ballast that's at fault. And tell me, how do you try and get replacement pasts for double-decade old fittings? (The fittings are original from when Queens was built, so the fittings are at least 23 years old. They need replacing with LED!)

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 19th, 2017, 12:02 pm

princechromey wrote:Well, some of the lamps have been replaced in Queens since my last update, including some halogen lamps that were near one of the lecture rooms (close to the area shown in the 2nd to last photo in the OP) but the 32 MH fittings are still there, and again, just 5 of the fittings are working. Since one of my visits last year, one of the very tall halides has stopped working, and since I don't think it is the lamp that has failed, and it had already been started (so I don't think the ignitor is the blame) then it must either be a capacitor or a ballast that's at fault. And tell me, how do you try and get replacement pasts for double-decade old fittings? (The fittings are original from when Queens was built, so the fittings are at least 23 years old. They need replacing with LED!)

To be honest I think you stand a greater chance of getting these replaced with LEDs than I do of convincing the council to replace all our LPS lights. :(

Can we send Paracosm up there to replace those MH fittings?

By the way, that flickering LPS light I told you about earlier on where the council say they won't replace them, it's stopped working altogether now. Could it be the ballast burnt out and needs replacing?

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 19th, 2017, 4:26 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:Well, some of the lamps have been replaced in Queens since my last update, including some halogen lamps that were near one of the lecture rooms (close to the area shown in the 2nd to last photo in the OP) but the 32 MH fittings are still there, and again, just 5 of the fittings are working. Since one of my visits last year, one of the very tall halides has stopped working, and since I don't think it is the lamp that has failed, and it had already been started (so I don't think the ignitor is the blame) then it must either be a capacitor or a ballast that's at fault. And tell me, how do you try and get replacement pasts for double-decade old fittings? (The fittings are original from when Queens was built, so the fittings are at least 23 years old. They need replacing with LED!)

To be honest I think you stand a greater chance of getting these replaced with LEDs than I do of convincing the council to replace all our LPS lights. :(

By the way, that flickering LPS light I told you about earlier on where the council say they won't replace them, it's stopped working altogether now. Could it be the ballast burnt out and needs replacing?

I hope that these MHs get replaced with LEDs :D They need doing, but it needs doing out of hours due to the requirement of either a hoist, or scaffolding. Remember that these things are virtually all inaccessible and most are in bloody difficult to reach places!

I remember when we mentioned James_W going up there to do them; maybe Paracosm should do it as well as James_W? :D That way, it'll get done twice as quickly :D

Might be the ballast; I don't know LPS lamps as well as MHs but I'm guessing it could be ballast related. Get the sodding thing down and get it converted to LED!

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 19th, 2017, 6:10 pm

princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

I hope that these MHs get replaced with LEDs :D They need doing, but it needs doing out of hours due to the requirement of either a hoist, or scaffolding. Remember that these things are virtually all inaccessible and most are in bloody difficult to reach places!

I remember when we mentioned James_W going up there to do them; maybe Paracosm should do it as well as James_W? :D That way, it'll get done twice as quickly :D

Might be the ballast; I don't know LPS lamps as well as MHs but I'm guessing it could be ballast related. Get the sodding thing down and get it converted to LED!

Then can we make them eat the MH lights?

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 19th, 2017, 7:13 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

Nope, I have plans to keep the MH lamps for my use. ;)

I might take out all of the MH related stuff on a few dead ones (i.e. with faulty ballasts/caps/ignitors) and wire in either a B22 or E27 fitting - so I can convert it to color changing LED (via an LED from Home Bargains), or standard LED/CFL.

After all, 20W CF or 5-10W LED is better than 150W MH!

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 19th, 2017, 7:16 pm

princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

I might take out all of the MH related stuff on a few dead ones (i.e. with faulty ballasts/caps/ignitors) and wire in either a B22 or E27 fitting - so I can convert it to color changing LED (via an LED from Home Bargains), or standard LED/CFL.

Would you like me to send you one of my old CFL lights to see if you can do anything with it? ;)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 19th, 2017, 8:13 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

Would you like me to send you one of my old CFL lights to see if you can do anything with it? ;)

What would I be able to do with a blown CF though? :confused:

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 19th, 2017, 8:27 pm

princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

There's one I replaced despite it still working OK with a colour changing led I bought from home bargains.

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 19th, 2017, 9:21 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

There's one I replaced despite it still working OK with a colour changing led I bought from home bargains.

Would that be the same color changing LED that I intend to put in these old halide spotlights? (It has a remote, comes in either B22 or E27 and changes color and brightness via the remote.)

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 19th, 2017, 10:32 pm

princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

Would that be the same color changing LED that I intend to put in these old halide spotlights? (It has a remote, comes in either B22 or E27 and changes color and brightness via the remote.)

:yep:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » February 25th, 2017, 7:58 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

:yep:

Furthermore, I could just take out the internals of those lamps, keep the G12 socket holder, and shove some eBay special LEDs in :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351503534943

Only £7.59 including postage for an LED replacement lamp :)

Trouble is, I'd need 32 of them, one for each MH lamp... (They'd likely be better converted to LED.)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » December 4th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Well, the Magnificent Five (or Four...) has now became the Magnificent Three...

Why 3? Because there are now only 3, out of 32, lights in full working order.

Two lamps that were working ok before, are now coming on and off, indicating a capacitor issue, and/or a ballast on its way out. So 2x capacitors and 2x ballasts required, just to get back to 5 lamps...

These fittings need taking down quickly and LEDs put in their place!

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » December 4th, 2017, 3:20 pm

spotify95 wrote:Well, the Magnificent Five (or Four...) has now became the Magnificent Three...

Why 3? Because there are now only 3, out of 32, lights in full working order.

Two lamps that were working ok before, are now coming on and off, indicating a capacitor issue, and/or a ballast on its way out. So 2x capacitors and 2x ballasts required, just to get back to 5 lamps...

These fittings need taking down quickly and LEDs put in their place!

Well it's funny you should say that as there is an LPS light near the roundabout to the road to the retail park that has Morrisons that keeps turning on then off every few minutes in a dull red colour and I reported it to the council who say it will be replaced with an LED but because it's a very busy road, they might not be able to for a few weeks yet.

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 12th, 2018, 10:59 am

Well, we have some improvements at last for the Queens' Foyer!

As Ce Ce Peniston would say in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npPfb_P3iMg

We're 4 years too late, but finally, it's happened to Queens!

The attachments speak for themselves. ;)

@Kyx @pinkteddyx64 @coleslaw
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.09.31.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.09.31.jpeg (149.54 KiB) Viewed 17058 times
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.09.20.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.09.20.jpeg (108.26 KiB) Viewed 17058 times
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.09.12.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.09.12.jpeg (154.17 KiB) Viewed 17058 times
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.09.04.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.09.04.jpeg (142.1 KiB) Viewed 17058 times
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.08.45.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.08.45.jpeg (162.72 KiB) Viewed 17058 times
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.08.35.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.08.35.jpeg (127.37 KiB) Viewed 17058 times
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.08.24.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.08.24.jpeg (150.13 KiB) Viewed 17058 times
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.08.13.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.08.13.jpeg (153.59 KiB) Viewed 17058 times
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.08.04.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 10.08.04.jpeg (91.33 KiB) Viewed 17058 times

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 12th, 2018, 12:20 pm

@spotify95 Now you know how I felt when those LPS lights that kept doing that pinkish red thing got replaced last month! :d

lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » January 12th, 2018, 6:56 pm

spotify95 wrote:Well, we have some improvements at last for the Queens' Foyer!

One of them looks broken off or is that one yet to be replaced? :lol: What type of building is queens foyer?

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » January 12th, 2018, 7:17 pm

coleslaw wrote:
spotify95 wrote:Well, we have some improvements at last for the Queens' Foyer!

One of them looks broken off or is that one yet to be replaced? :lol: What type of building is queens foyer?

3 of them seem to be yet to be replaced

Return to “Chat”