GWR

Talk about anything that takes your fancy in this forum (within reason of course)! Includes a dedicated sub-forum for forum games. :cool:
JessPlaysGames

GWR

Postby JessPlaysGames » February 3rd, 2018, 7:53 pm

@spotify95 @pinkteddyx64 @coleslaw

The Guinness World Records calculates average speed wrong:

It should be total distance traveled divided by total time taken. They calculate (first speed + second speed)/2

This is wrong Guinness World Records. Get it together :mad:

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: GWR

Postby pinkteddyx64 » February 3rd, 2018, 7:53 pm

Kyx wrote:@spotify95 @pinkteddyx64 @coleslaw

The Guinness World Records calculates average speed wrong:

It should be total distance traveled divided by total time taken. They calculate (first speed + second speed)/2

This is wrong Guinness World Records. Get it together :mad:

:doh2:

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » February 4th, 2018, 1:44 am

@pinkteddyx64 @spotify95 @coleslaw

Imagine that a car travels 1 mile in 12 seconds on the first go. On the second go the engine breaks so they have to push the car. This takes 3 hours.

For GWR the average speed would be (300 mph + 0.3 mph)/2 = 150 mph

The actual average speed is 2 miles/3 hours = 0.67 mph

Huge difference

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » February 4th, 2018, 11:20 am

Kyx wrote:@pinkteddyx64 @spotify95 @coleslaw

Imagine that a car travels 1 mile in 12 seconds on the first go. On the second go the engine breaks so they have to push the car. This takes 3 hours.

Huge difference

Indeed, I always knew that speed = distance / time, the first one (u+v)/2 would only be relevant if an item starts at one speed and finishes at another speed (going back to Physics SUVAT equations)and completes the whole run like that.

So if a car started at rest and was at 60mph after traveling 0.5 miles (constant acceleration ofc) then you'd use s=[(v+u)/2]*t, with the bit in square brackets being how you calculate the speed.
If a car is traveling at a constant 60mph then use speed = dist / time. The same goes for if it has to be pushed. Therefore, as you stated, if it takes 3 hours and 12 seconds (combined time) to complete a total distance of 2 miles (both runs) then the average speed cannot possibly be 150mph, or anywhere near that...

Hope I've not completely fucked up somewhere in my calculations! (Feel free to correct me if I have.)

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » February 4th, 2018, 6:43 pm

spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:@pinkteddyx64 @spotify95 @coleslaw

Huge difference

Indeed, I always knew that speed = distance / time, the first one (u+v)/2 would only be relevant if an item starts at one speed and finishes at another speed (going back to Physics SUVAT equations)and completes the whole run like that.

So if a car started at rest and was at 60mph after traveling 0.5 miles (constant acceleration ofc) then you'd use s=[(v+u)/2]*t, with the bit in square brackets being how you calculate the speed.
If a car is traveling at a constant 60mph then use speed = dist / time. The same goes for if it has to be pushed. Therefore, as you stated, if it takes 3 hours and 12 seconds (combined time) to complete a total distance of 2 miles (both runs) then the average speed cannot possibly be 150mph, or anywhere near that...

Hope I've not completely fucked up somewhere in my calculations! (Feel free to correct me if I have.)

:thumbsup:

Return to “Chat”