New £6m street lighting scheme to get underway

Talk about anything that takes your fancy in this forum (within reason of course)! Includes a dedicated sub-forum for forum games. :cool:
pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

New £6m street lighting scheme to get underway

Postby pinkteddyx64 » September 20th, 2017, 5:34 pm

@spotify95

https://scunthorpelifeblog.wordpress.co ... -underway/

So this means an end to LPS street lighting in North Lincolnshire and me constantly having to report the shit that happens like the flickering or pinkish red fault.

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Re: New £6m street lighting scheme to get underway

Postby spotify95 » September 20th, 2017, 7:07 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:@spotify95

So this means an end to LPS street lighting in North Lincolnshire and me constantly having to report the shit that happens like the flickering or pinkish red fault.

Awesome stuff. So hopefully, loads of LPS/HPS lamps top salvage :yep:

Also, I particularly agree with this:

“Where other councils in our region are looking to turn off or dim street lights, we are committing to keeping the lights on across our area. These new LED lights are just as bright as our current lights and even direct the light down onto the street more effectively, reducing light pollution.

“Because most of our work will only be changing the lights at the top of our lamp posts, and not the columns themselves, we should be able to keep disruption to road users to an absolute minimum.”

Other councils, such as Northamptonshire, should have done this and taken note - using the same poles not only reduces disruption, but also reduces costs (as new poles do not have to be installed). And using LED significantly reduces the running cost - yet still provides a good amount of light.

Why did some councils go to replacing all the poles with new poles further apart, and then using high energy (but low light) technologies, such as metal halide - now that is a question I cannot answer, and they will soon regret it when the metal halide lights begin to fail. Then they'll finally realize that going LED is corrct and they'll have to roll out another upgrade program, costing them more.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » September 20th, 2017, 7:13 pm

spotify95 wrote:

“Where other councils in our region are looking to turn off or dim street lights, we are committing to keeping the lights on across our area. These new LED lights are just as bright as our current lights and even direct the light down onto the street more effectively, reducing light pollution.

“Because most of our work will only be changing the lights at the top of our lamp posts, and not the columns themselves, we should be able to keep disruption to road users to an absolute minimum.”

Other councils, such as Northamptonshire, should have done this and taken note - using the same poles not only reduces disruption, but also reduces costs (as new poles do not have to be installed). And using LED significantly reduces the running cost - yet still provides a good amount of light.

Why did some councils go to replacing all the poles with new poles further apart, and then using high energy (but low light) technologies, such as metal halide - now that is a question I cannot answer, and they will soon regret it when the metal halide lights begin to fail. Then they'll finally realize that going LED is corrct and they'll have to roll out another upgrade program, costing them more.

The only poles they'll replace are concrete ones.

Since the upgrade programme takes place from next Monday I'll keep an eye out over the coming weeks and post what I see here.

If I can salvage any of the old lights, which type do you think would be best suited for use as a garden light, LPS or HPS?

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 20th, 2017, 8:05 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Since the upgrade programme takes place from next Monday I'll keep an eye out over the coming weeks and post what I see here.

If I can salvage any of the old lights, which type do you think would be best suited for use as a garden light, LPS or HPS?

Yeah those concrete poles really do need disposing of in favor of metal ones. Thankfully all our concrete poles got sent to the tip when they replaced our lights with metal halide :)

Just get as many lights as you can, of whatever type is going around :) HPS or MH would be preferred, as they can be used as-is (assuming they work), whereas LPS would ideally be suited towards being replaced with CFL or LED, due to the crap CRI of LPS.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » September 20th, 2017, 8:22 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Yeah those concrete poles really do need disposing of in favor of metal ones. Thankfully all our concrete poles got sent to the tip when they replaced our lights with metal halide :)

Just get as many lights as you can, of whatever type is going around :) HPS or MH would be preferred, as they can be used as-is (assuming they work), whereas LPS would ideally be suited towards being replaced with CFL or LED, due to the crap CRI of LPS.

HPS it is then as MH has always been a rarity on our streets in North Lincolnshire.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » September 25th, 2017, 2:16 pm

@spotify95 And the first of the new lighting goes up from today. :woo:

Also, here's a video of one of the LPS lights being taken down:

https://youtu.be/XQNh5a7POsE
Attachments
20170925_135430.jpg
20170925_135430.jpg (992.21 KiB) Viewed 9080 times
20170925_134853.jpg
20170925_134853.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 9080 times

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 25th, 2017, 3:16 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:@spotify95 And the first of the new lighting goes up from today. :woo:

Finally, it's about time LPS was phased out! As LPS does not provide very good light output at all.
HPS, MH or even MV would be better than LPS for light output - but LED is the best of all.

Did you manage to speak to the people there regarding re-use of the fittings?
Remember, HPS is preferred over LPS, but anything will do :p

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » September 25th, 2017, 3:24 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:@spotify95 And the first of the new lighting goes up from today. :woo:

Finally, it's about time LPS was phased out! As LPS does not provide very good light output at all.
HPS, MH or even MV would be better than LPS for light output - but LED is the best of all.

I did, and the response was "No chance, these are going straight to the recycling facility". :unimpressed: :#

What if they had dropped it on a passing by car by accident and the car driver was James_W? :teehee:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 25th, 2017, 3:39 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

I did, and the response was "No chance, these are going straight to the recycling facility". :unimpressed: :#

What if they had dropped it on a passing by car by accident and the car driver was James_W? :teehee:

But they work so why would they want to then get scrapped/wasted? This is what I hate regarding E-Waste...

Keep going at it though, see what you can get for me. :)

It would have been a disaster, unless it was indeed James_W driving past - the latter would have been cause for celebration :rofl:

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » September 25th, 2017, 3:43 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

But they work so why would they want to then get scrapped/wasted? This is what I hate regarding E-Waste...

It would have been a disaster, unless it was indeed James_W driving past - the latter would have been cause for celebration :rofl:

I'll keep on trying, after all I bet I'm bound to get something over the three years this lighting upgrade will take. :yep:

It's the same old health and safety bullshit as to why they want to completely scrap them. :#

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 25th, 2017, 3:53 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

I'll keep on trying, after all I bet I'm bound to get something over the three years this lighting upgrade will take. :yep:

It's the same old health and safety bullshit as to why they want to completely scrap them. :#

They've been working for this long though, so what is the actual chances of them blowing up, or blowing us up? Virtually zero? If they'd have posed any danger then they wouldn`t have even been installed in the first place !

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » September 25th, 2017, 4:03 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

They've been working for this long though, so what is the actual chances of them blowing up, or blowing us up? Virtually zero? If they'd have posed any danger then they wouldn`t have even been installed in the first place !

It's the same reason why they won't pass on second hand computers etc.

Think about it, if you or I accidentally damaged a second hand street light and got poisoned by mercury or sodium etc, that could be a liability.

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 25th, 2017, 4:59 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

It's the same reason why they won't pass on second hand computers etc.

Think about it, if you or I accidentally damaged a second hand street light and got poisoned by mercury or sodium etc, that could be a liability.

Still a load of rubbish though, for good reason.

Think about it: if we are the owners of an electronic item, and we do something stupid with it that causes the item to break or cause severe side effects, then we are to blame.

Therefore, if we get given these lights, then we are the owners of them, and therefore any future problems that we encounter are our problem and our responsibility to get fixed/resolved.

Sodium lights don't go boom very often (if at all!) and the chances of any sodium leaking out of the bulbs are very rare. Plus, if they were low pressure sodium, then we wouldn't even keep them as sodium anyway, we'd get them LED or CFL retrofitted (or similar). Any anyone who knows what they're doing won't have a problem with any of this that we are discussing here, or what we have discussed in other threads.

Mercury wouldn`t be a problem either because the amount of mercury in any lamp (except for a mercury vapor lamp) is going to be small enough to be insignificant. And mercury vapor lamps are long since gone; they got replaced with HPS in most areas.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » October 12th, 2017, 8:32 pm

@spotify95 And another road has just lost much of it's LPS lights in favor of LED lights. But with a snag.

This road had already had two LED lights installed last year, and one this year, as casual replacements but two of these have also been replaced with the newer LEDs, even though there was no fault with them! :banghead: :mad:

Return to “Chat”