University Wifi

Talk about anything that takes your fancy in this forum (within reason of course)! Includes a dedicated sub-forum for forum games. :cool:
JessPlaysGames

University Wifi

Postby JessPlaysGames » August 24th, 2017, 9:18 pm

@pinkteddyx64 @princechromey

I cannot wait to get to university, especially since they claim their wifi is 100 Mbps. I was recently playing several matches of FIFA Mobilr when the wifi cut out and claims I forfeited the match, so I lose 3-0. This did not happen. It was 0-0 and then it disconnected. I was also playing a versus battle where I was winning 5-0, but then the wifi cut out and I apparently lost 6-0.

With speeds of 100 Mbps this problem should not arise. But then there's the holidays when I'm back here dealing with speeds of 3 Mbps and less

spotify95
A jungle man

Re: University Wifi

Postby spotify95 » August 24th, 2017, 9:57 pm

Kyx wrote:@pinkteddyx64 @princechromey

I cannot wait to get to university, especially since they claim their wifi is 100 Mbps. I was recently playing several matches of FIFA Mobilr when the wifi cut out and claims I forfeited the match, so I lose 3-0. This did not happen. It was 0-0 and then it disconnected. I was also playing a versus battle where I was winning 5-0, but then the wifi cut out and I apparently lost 6-0.

With speeds of 100 Mbps this problem should not arise. But then there's the holidays when I'm back here dealing with speeds of 3 Mbps and less

Hmm, 100Mbps? That's pretty good, good enough for most things definitely!

My university doesn't even have a limit on their campus wi-fi, it depends on the location and computer, so seeing 100+Mbps on Wifi and anywhere up to 1Gbps on the desktop (ethernet) computers is not uncommon. The connections are also symmetrical, unlike Virgin and their shitty upload speeds.

You should also get the router that I linked you to, and shove a SIM in it, for when you are at home :yep:

It is also confirmed that you can shove a Giffgaff SIM in a wi-fi router, which uses 3G/4G as the incoming signal. So you can get a Giffgaff SIM from my affiliate link, put it in the router, and this will give you good speeds/coverage as well as a £5 activation bonus. Plus, if you post on their community and earn "payback", as well as recruit new members and get "payback", you'll find that your data usage will cost very little once Payback has been factored in. Possibly even free.

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » August 24th, 2017, 10:01 pm

princechromey wrote:

My university doesn't even have a limit on their campus wi-fi, it depends on the location and computer, so seeing 100+Mbps on Wifi and anywhere up to 1Gbps on the desktop (ethernet) computers is not uncommon. The connections are also symmetrical, unlike Virgin and their shitty upload speeds.

You should also get the router that I linked you to, and shove a SIM in it, for when you are at home :yep:

Perhaps :p

The accommodation and the uni wifi are by different providers though, neither that I've heard of before

The University one is edunet or something beginning with 'edu'

I'll still look into the router though :p

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » August 24th, 2017, 10:04 pm

Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

The accommodation and the uni wifi are by different providers though, neither that I've heard of before

That'll be eduroam then. I know this because DMU Wi-Fi uses Eduroam and gives internet speeds of 100Mbit/s+.

The accommodation wi-fi will be the 100Mbit/s wi-fi, which is fast enough to do whatever you need to on. God knows what ISP they will be using though.

The router would be a good idea for (a) out and about, if you are in a location that has a mains supply, and can get 3G/4G but not wi-fi, or (b) for use at home to replace a faulty/unreliable connection. The 9GB for £18 offer is ideal for this, especially since it likely won't cost you £18 per month (see my edit above).

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » August 24th, 2017, 10:17 pm

princechromey wrote:
Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

That'll be eduroam then. I know this because DMU Wi-Fi uses Eduroam and gives internet speeds of 100Mbit/s+.

The accommodation wi-fi will be the 100Mbit/s wi-fi, which is fast enough to do whatever you need to on. God knows what ISP they will be using though.

The router would be a good idea for (a) out and about, if you are in a location that has a mains supply, and can get 3G/4G but not wi-fi, or (b) for use at home to replace a faulty/unreliable connection. The 9GB for £18 offer is ideal for this, especially since it likely won't cost you £18 per month (see my edit above).

:yep:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » August 24th, 2017, 10:41 pm

Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:
Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

Well, by the looks of things, the router in question is no longer on Gumtree. I'll see if it comes back up again.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » August 24th, 2017, 10:48 pm

princechromey wrote:
Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:
Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

Well, by the looks of things, the router in question is no longer on Gumtree. I'll see if it comes back up again.

Gumtree somehow seems better than eBay despite being owned by eBay.

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » August 24th, 2017, 10:57 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:
Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

Gumtree somehow seems better than eBay despite being owned by eBay.

That does surprise me, I'd have somehow thought that eBay would have integrated Gumtree into it's own site, as a special "cash on collection only" section. But yeah, Gumtree is less formal, and works nicely. I've got an ad on Gumtree for wanted old laptop batteries - if you have any (or any batteries for that!) just let me know.

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » August 24th, 2017, 11:21 pm

And guess what?

I won 7-0, but apparently I lost 1-0

How the fuck am I meant to do anything with shit wifi like this? I completely dominated that match against a much lower rated opponent, but no, I not only have to be good, I have to be lucky to have an internet connection as well. So not only do I have to win, I have to play the lottery to decide whether I can keep the win. :mad:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » August 24th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Kyx wrote:And guess what?

How the fuck am I meant to do anything with shit wifi like this? I completely dominated that match against a much lower rated opponent, but no, I not only have to be good, I have to be lucky to have an internet connection as well. So not only do I have to win, I have to play the lottery to decide whether I can keep the win. :mad:

You need something better than what you've got - and quickly. :yep:

I'll see what I can find for you, that would work OK with a 3G/4G SIM :yep:

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » August 24th, 2017, 11:57 pm

princechromey wrote:
Kyx wrote:And guess what?

You need something better than what you've got - and quickly. :yep:

I'll see what I can find for you, that would work OK with a 3G/4G SIM :yep:

And I lost 3 'offline' matches because the wifi cut out. I mean I'm only playing this 'offline' mode because it's 'offline' but you still need a fucking internet connection?!

And the average loading time for a web page is well over 10 seconds :mad:

Return to “Chat”