Giffgaff Data (it's got a lot better!)

Discuss music, TV programmes, channels, radio stations, photography and film, media celebrities and also print and online media here, plus the technical aspects of television.
spotify95
A jungle man

Giffgaff Data (it's got a lot better!)

Postby spotify95 » August 11th, 2017, 7:38 pm

Hi,

I've just seen an update on the Giffgaff Community, with regards to how their data works. You can see it here:

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Annou ... p/20690313

Basically put, their changes have been very positive indeed - my local 4G mast used to do between 3-5Mbps down on both 4G and 3G. Giffgaff really struggled for data previously.

However, after some behind the scenes stuff (probably with talks with O2) the data speeds have massively increased. I ran a speed test on 4G and got 26Mbps download, which is much better than before. I couldn't test the upload, nor could I test 3G, because I ran out of credit - but if this is indicative of how Giffgaff will perform then I would definitely recommend them as a mobile network to use (in fact, I'd even go as far as recommending it as a primary network, provided that you used less than 6GB data per month and took part in the Payback scheme).

If you need a SIM then just let me know as I have a load with me, and can either post or give you a link to my affiliate page.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: Giffgaff Data (it's got a lot better!)

Postby pinkteddyx64 » August 11th, 2017, 7:45 pm

princechromey wrote:Hi,

I've just seen an update on the Giffgaff Community, with regards to how their data works. You can see it here:

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Annou ... p/20690313

Basically put, their changes have been very positive indeed - my local 4G mast used to do between 3-5Mbps down on both 4G and 3G. Giffgaff really struggled for data previously.

However, after some behind the scenes stuff (probably with talks with O2) the data speeds have massively increased. I ran a speed test on 4G and got 26Mbps download, which is much better than before. I couldn't test the upload, nor could I test 3G, because I ran out of credit - but if this is indicative of how Giffgaff will perform then I would definitely recommend them as a mobile network to use (in fact, I'd even go as far as recommending it as a primary network, provided that you used less than 6GB data per month and took part in the Payback scheme).

If you need a SIM then just let me know as I have a load with me, and can either post or give you a link to my affiliate page.

Amazing. :thumbsup:

Expect to see this reposted with a James_W impostor on the VM Community. :yep:

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 29th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Giffgaff are now upgrading the Goodybags, which means you now get more data for your money! :)

See here: https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using ... p/20877060

Now you get 1GB for £7.50 per month, 3GB for £10 per month, 6GB for £15 per month and 9GB for £18 per month.

Definitely a good time to jump to Giffgaff if you are looking to change providers - and remember, you'll get £5 free credit (£10 free if before the end of October) from activating one of my affiliate SIM cards. (Giffgaff is not recommended if you need more than 9GB per month, unless you are happy with the terms of Always On, i.e. 384kbps from 8:00 to 23:59.)

Remember, with Giffgaff, you're free to go at any time - though I hope this news would make you love to stay :)

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » September 29th, 2017, 8:08 pm

spotify95 wrote:Giffgaff are now upgrading the Goodybags, which means you now get more data for your money! :)

Now you get 1GB for £7.50 per month, 3GB for £10 per month, 6GB for £15 per month and 9GB for £18 per month.

Definitely a good time to jump to Giffgaff if you are looking to change providers - and remember, you'll get £5 free credit (£10 free if before the end of October) from activating one of my affiliate SIM cards. (Giffgaff is not recommended if you need more than 9GB per month, unless you are happy with the terms of Always On, i.e. 384kbps from 8:00 to 23:59.)

Remember, with Giffgaff, you're free to go at any time - though I hope this news would make you love to stay :)

Amazing. :) I wonder what James_W would think to that? :hmmmm:

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 29th, 2017, 8:21 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:Giffgaff are now upgrading the Goodybags, which means you now get more data for your money! :)

Well, considering the fact that Virgin Mobile is £2.50 more expensive than Giffgaff (and covering virtually the same as what Giffgaff offers on the new £7.50 bag), he probably won't like it at all!

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » September 29th, 2017, 8:27 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

Well, considering the fact that Virgin Mobile is £2.50 more expensive than Giffgaff (and covering virtually the same as what Giffgaff offers on the new £7.50 bag), he probably won't like it at all!

I'll post about the offer with my next James_W impostor.

I don't really use a lot of data when out on the road, so even the most expensive offer at £18 a month would be perfect. :yep:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 29th, 2017, 8:32 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

I don't really use a lot of data when out on the road, so even the most expensive offer at £18 a month would be perfect. :yep:

You sure that's a good idea? :dunno:

But yeah, if you want to go for Giffgaff (especially since they offer more data as of October 4th) then you might find yourself saving some money compared to other SIM providers. And if you take part in the Payback scheme, the SIM usage will be even cheaper (or possibly even free!).
Remember to ask me for a SIM though (or get one from my affiliate link) to get the £5 free credit on activation. :yep:

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » September 29th, 2017, 8:35 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

You sure that's a good idea? :dunno:

But yeah, if you want to go for Giffgaff (especially since they offer more data as of October 4th) then you might find yourself saving some money compared to other SIM providers. And if you take part in the Payback scheme, the SIM usage will be even cheaper (or possibly even free!).
Remember to ask me for a SIM though (or get one from my affiliate link) to get the £5 free credit on activation. :yep:

:yep:

I will be sure to ask. :yep: :)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 29th, 2017, 8:50 pm

Oh crikey... James_W really won't like you if you do that :p

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » September 29th, 2017, 10:15 pm

If I activate, can I keep my old phone number? :o

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » September 29th, 2017, 10:29 pm

Kyx wrote:

I was wondering that too. I'd rather keep my old one. :o

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 29th, 2017, 10:59 pm

Kyx wrote:

Yep, you can. There are two options when using these SIMs:

1) Use the SIM as is in a secondary phone (like what I do) and have a new number

2) Activate the SIM and then phone or text) your old provider for a PAC code (Port Authorization Code). Once you have the PAC code from your old provider (make sure you're not midway through a long contract, so you can easily cancel), go to your Giffgaff dashboard and enter the PAC code in there (about transferring your number to giffgaff). Once the transfer has taken place, you'll keep your old number.
This is what I did in order to keep my number when switching from Virgin Mobile to EE.

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 29th, 2017, 11:00 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
Kyx wrote:

I was wondering that too. I'd rather keep my old one. :o

Yep - so long as you are on a 30 day rolling contract or PAYG (so you can easily cancel the contract with your old provider) then you can get a PAC code from your old provider. Once you have this code, you can give it to giffgaff under your dashboard and keep your old number :)

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » September 29th, 2017, 11:53 pm

spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:

1) Use the SIM as is in a secondary phone (like what I do) and have a new number

2) Activate the SIM and then phone or text) your old provider for a PAC code (Port Authorization Code). Once you have the PAC code from your old provider (make sure you're not midway through a long contract, so you can easily cancel), go to your Giffgaff dashboard and enter the PAC code in there (about transferring your number to giffgaff). Once the transfer has taken place, you'll keep your old number.
This is what I did in order to keep my number when switching from Virgin Mobile to EE.

I've just bought an iPhone 6 for £270 to put the GiffGaff SIM in :)

The EE SIM will remain in the iPhon 5 :D

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 30th, 2017, 12:01 am

Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:

Awesome stuff - the iP6 should last you for quite a while :)

The EE SIM is better off in the iP5 because the iP5 doesn't support O2's base layer of 4G (Band 20), yet it does support EE's base layer of 4G (Band 3). The iP6 supports both Band 3 and Band 20, as well as other 4G bands as well (like Band 7, Band 1 etc) so will be great for all operators' 4G :)

And of course you can always swap SIMs about in the future if you decide that you need to swap phones, or one SIM is more important than the other etc.
But when you do become a Giffgaff member, you'll want to make sure that you regularly visit their community. Even if you just post in General Discussion, it will help - as posting in their Community earns you Payback, which can be used as airtime credit (to make your SIM plan cheaper) or PayPal payments. I'd recommend you use it as airtime credit, to keep your SIM going :)

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » September 30th, 2017, 12:09 am

spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:

The EE SIM is better off in the iP5 because the iP5 doesn't support O2's base layer of 4G (Band 20), yet it does support EE's base layer of 4G (Band 3). The iP6 supports both Band 3 and Band 20, as well as other 4G bands as well (like Band 7, Band 1 etc) so will be great for all operators' 4G :)

And of course you can always swap SIMs about in the future if you decide that you need to swap phones, or one SIM is more important than the other etc.
But when you do become a Giffgaff member, you'll want to make sure that you regularly visit their community. Even if you just post in General Discussion, it will help - as posting in their Community earns you Payback, which can be used as airtime credit (to make your SIM plan cheaper) or PayPal payments. I'd recommend you use it as airtime credit, to keep your SIM going :)

Activated my SIM. Unfortunately there was a technical problem though :(

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Welco ... p/20919580

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 30th, 2017, 9:40 am

Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:

Awesome stuff :) shame about the technical issues though :(

For the records, my name on Giffgaff isn't spotify95, it's tuneintestaccount - because I used the SIM as a test SIM for streaming Tunein radio.

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » September 30th, 2017, 10:38 am

spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:

Awesome stuff :) shame about the technical issues though :(

For the records, my name on Giffgaff isn't spotify95, it's tuneintestaccount - because I used the SIM as a test SIM for streaming Tunein radio.

Gotcha ;)

Return to “Media”