Problems with TBAAJ CTAM thread

For reporting of any technical issues you may encounter whilst using these forums.
spotify95
A jungle man

Problems with TBAAJ CTAM thread

Postby spotify95 » June 2nd, 2020, 1:28 pm

Hello,

Would like to report a problem that used to be an issue, but is now coming up even more and more often/recently.
It is to do with the CTAM thread in Forum Games.

You may all be aware that we currently have one, very large, CTAM thread, with a new offshoot being created every so often, and posts being merged into the "main" thread whenever we get a substantial amount of new posts. I assume this is so we can "try" and get CTAM completed in one.

The trouble is that moving the posts to the large thread in turn makes the large thread extremely difficult to navigate - especially if you're trying to quote a previous post, because you're not on TBAAJ all the time and the post has suddenly been moved.

Furthermore, it used to be able to navigate OK, but very very slowly. We're now getting "General Error" whenever we try to quote in something from the aforementioned very large thread, making it impossible to reply.

The TL;DR of this is that having CTAM in one large thread is completely unsustainable to the site, and we are also hitting limitations of our software with MySQL errors.
We can't keep CTAM going the way it is.

Options going forward are to (a) invest in more server capacity in the hope that the SQL / General Errors are resolved - or (b) do what we should have done, split the thread at 500k and have two 500k parts, to make the million. Not only would this prevent the need to manually move posts every 100 or so, but it would also resolve the unbearably slow (sometimes even impossible) navigation throughout the site.

Thoughts/ideas/updates would be appreciated.

@unturned_cake, @lucozadesp0rt, @Zak, @Kyx, @pinkteddyx64

unturned_cake
The jungle girl

Re: Problems with TBAAJ CTAM thread

Postby unturned_cake » June 2nd, 2020, 1:31 pm

Ah for the quotes what I do is ...manually copy it and paste with
etc wrote:

But thats quite unfeasible way if we're quote lots frm there O.o

lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » June 6th, 2020, 7:24 pm

if quoting is an issue that you cant bare i'd split the thread. would also be better for prosperity's sake :)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » July 19th, 2020, 11:29 pm

unturned_cake wrote:Ah for the quotes what I do is ...manually copy it and paste with
etc wrote:

But thats quite unfeasible way if we're quote lots frm there O.o

Yeah if there's one or two posts, then do that :) I don't know how multi-quote works though, even if there is multi-quote on here, so I can imagine copying every single quote would be annoying :p

@lucozadesp0rt Yeah I agree, splitting is the best way to go. In fact, the thread should really have been split much earlier than where we are now (it still hasn't been split!) in order to reduce the load and resources on the server. There's a reason why most other forums lock and split threads before they become too large to deal with ;)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » April 30th, 2021, 11:08 pm

lucozadesp0rt wrote:if quoting is an issue that you cant bare i'd split the thread. would also be better for prosperity's sake :)

It's worse than this now. You can't even view CTAM now without getting a General Error/SQL Error. So much for whatever we previously did when you can't view any of it!

This thread should have been split at 500k. It's as simple as that. Now, the main thread for the site is totally broken.

Hopefully something actually happens to make the thread actually usable before I decide it's too much hassle and just pack in here, focusing on other fora such as TSR and QQF.

lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » May 19th, 2021, 10:39 pm

spotify95 wrote:
lucozadesp0rt wrote:if quoting is an issue that you cant bare i'd split the thread. would also be better for prosperity's sake :)

It's worse than this now. You can't even view CTAM now without getting a General Error/SQL Error. So much for whatever we previously did when you can't view any of it!

This thread should have been split at 500k. It's as simple as that. Now, the main thread for the site is totally broken.

Hopefully something actually happens to make the thread actually usable before I decide it's too much hassle and just pack in here, focusing on other fora such as TSR and QQF.

same for me, cant load it at all. Should be split so it's at least viewable :ohyes:

Return to “Report a problem”