Upgrading to XenForo

Got any comments or suggestions regarding any part of this site? Go ahead and post them here! :H
spotify95
A jungle man

Upgrading to XenForo

Postby spotify95 » March 4th, 2017, 6:22 pm

Hi,

I've had a little look online and it seems that moving us from phpBB3.x to XenForo should be relatively straightforward.

See here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/c ... oro.33998/

I believe that it was mentioned before, that this could cause issues with reputation, but is there a way of remembering/editing what posts/members got rep, and then manually reapplying the rep data once the transfer to XF has been made?

XF seems like much better software than phpbb3, hence the suggestion for upgrade.

@pinkteddyx64

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: Upgrading to XenForo

Postby pinkteddyx64 » March 4th, 2017, 10:31 pm

princechromey wrote:Hi,

I've had a little look online and it seems that moving us from phpBB3.x to XenForo should be relatively straightforward.

I believe that it was mentioned before, that this could cause issues with reputation, but is there a way of remembering/editing what posts/members got rep, and then manually reapplying the rep data once the transfer to XF has been made?

XF seems like much better software than phpbb3, hence the suggestion for upgrade.

@pinkteddyx64

You're really determined to see this site use XenForo, aren't you? :rofl:

I have not completely ruled out moving to XenForo in the future, but won't be doing so for now due to the following:

1. XenForo overwrites the emoticons with it's own ones, I noticed that when doing a test install recently and to re-add the emoticons we have at the minute would take the best part of a day to do, so won't be considering moving until they come up with a way to upgrade and it carry the emoticons from phpBB.

2. Cost. XenForo costs the best part of over £100, money in which I have more pressing priorities to spend such money on, but I can save up here and there for it.

And PLEASE DON'T ask me to install a pirated copy, as XenForo can and has had websites using illegal copies of it's software taken down.

But as I've mentioned earlier, not ruling it out entirely.

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » March 5th, 2017, 1:40 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:

@pinkteddyx64

I have not completely ruled out moving to XenForo in the future, but won't be doing so for now due to the following:

1. XenForo overwrites the emoticons with it's own ones, I noticed that when doing a test install recently and to re-add the emoticons we have at the minute would take the best part of a day to do, so won't be considering moving until they come up with a way to upgrade and it carry the emoticons from phpBB.

2. Cost. XenForo costs the best part of over £100, money in which I have more pressing priorities to spend such money on, but I can save up here and there for it.

And PLEASE DON'T ask me to install a pirated copy, as XenForo can and has had websites using illegal copies of it's software taken down.

It's just that I remember you making a secondary forum, called thebritsareajoke.com/spotify95 (no longer exists) and that was running XenForo software. It seemed much better than phpBB.

Hmm, re-adding each and every emoticon would be rather time consuming wouldn't it? Also didn't realize that XenForo cost so much, was phpBB free or greatly reduced in price?

I would never ask you to use pirated copies as pirated copies of anything is never good news. So I can understand why you want to keep it on phpBB at the moment. I mean, we've customized the forum from stock phpBB, and our customizations have made it much better than the stock phpBB. But I can't help thinking how much better it would be on XF.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » March 5th, 2017, 5:49 pm

princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

@pinkteddyx64

It's just that I remember you making a secondary forum, called thebritsareajoke.com/spotify95 (no longer exists) and that was running XenForo software. It seemed much better than phpBB.

Hmm, re-adding each and every emoticon would be rather time consuming wouldn't it? Also didn't realize that XenForo cost so much, was phpBB free or greatly reduced in price?

I would never ask you to use pirated copies as pirated copies of anything is never good news. So I can understand why you want to keep it on phpBB at the moment. I mean, we've customized the forum from stock phpBB, and our customizations have made it much better than the stock phpBB. But I can't help thinking how much better it would be on XF.

phpBB is free and far easier to customise and restore when customisations go wrong.

Maybe I could make the move to XenForo in 2019 when it will be the 5th anniversary of this site?

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:

Return to “Site News And Suggestions”