Are you into binary?

Got any comments or suggestions regarding any part of this site? Go ahead and post them here! :H
spotify95
A jungle man

Are you into binary?

Postby spotify95 » October 18th, 2014, 2:20 pm

If so, TSR is launching two brand new threads!

CTAM in binary, and CTAMM in binary! :D

If you're any good at binary, did you want those creating here?

Plus - TSR are making a Million to Zero thread too :)

margalo
X Offender

Re: Are you into binary?

Postby margalo » October 18th, 2014, 3:03 pm

I'll just use my calculator :D

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » October 18th, 2014, 3:50 pm

margalo wrote:I'll just use my calculator :D

So your calculator can convert to binary? :)

Can it also do 2's compliment? I think that 2's compliment might be needed for the negative binary - but we'll have to check.

margalo
X Offender

Postby margalo » October 18th, 2014, 5:13 pm

spotify95 wrote:

Can it also do 2's compliment? I think that 2's compliment might be needed for the negative binary - but we'll have to check.

Yes, It can! It can also convert to hexadecimal and octal. What calculator do you have? I don't know what 2s compliment is as I only know the conversion of positive decimals to binary, octal and base 5 which I learnt back in high school.

I tried converting negative decimals to binary on my calculator. Have a look: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Nb4_ ... 164848.jpg
Is that the right answer?

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » October 18th, 2014, 5:54 pm

margalo wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Yes, It can! It can also convert to hexadecimal and octal. What calculator do you have? I don't know what 2s compliment is as I only know the conversion of positive decimals to binary, octal and base 5 which I learnt back in high school.

I tried converting negative decimals to binary on my calculator. Have a look: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Nb4_ ... 164848.jpg

I haven't got that calculator, though it is scientific. I have the Casio FX85, not the 570 which you have.

That answer looks a bit weird, though having said that negative binary really isn't my strong point.

I do know about hex, bin and octal, as well as BCD (binary coded decimal)

I only started to learn about 2's compliment last year, and I think that is how the negative thread will work. Basically, you take the positive binary for the number (if negative), invert all of the digits and then add 1 to it.

You can have a look here about 2's compliment:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two's_complement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two's_comp ... complement

edit: Yeah, just manually tried doing the 2's compliment of 121 and the calculator is indeed correct.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » October 18th, 2014, 6:21 pm

I hate binary, but if you want to create such threads on here, you are more than welcome to. :thumbsup:

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
margalo
X Offender

Postby margalo » October 18th, 2014, 6:37 pm

spotify95 wrote:
margalo wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

I haven't got that calculator, though it is scientific. I have the Casio FX85, not the 570 which you have.

That answer looks a bit weird, though having said that negative binary really isn't my strong point.

I do know about hex, bin and octal, as well as BCD (binary coded decimal)

I only started to learn about 2's compliment last year, and I think that is how the negative thread will work. Basically, you take the positive binary for the number (if negative), invert all of the digits and then add 1 to it.

You can have a look here about 2's compliment:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two's_complement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two's_comp ... complement

edit: Yeah, just manually tried doing the 2's compliment of 121 and the calculator is indeed correct.

You should consider upgrading your calculator. I used the 570-MS in high school and while in college, I got the 570ES PLUS which is able to display the answer in exact form. I looked at the links and I kind of understand the Two's complement but I'm prone to mistakes. So, I'll stick to using my calculator! :D

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » October 18th, 2014, 6:45 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:I hate binary, but if you want to create such threads on here, you are more than welcome to. :thumbsup:

Okay thanks! :)

I was also interested in whether you wanted to post on the TSR version of the binary threads? :)

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » October 18th, 2014, 6:48 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:I hate binary, but if you want to create such threads on here, you are more than welcome to. :thumbsup:

Okay thanks! :)

I was also interested in whether you wanted to post on the TSR version of the binary threads? :)

We'll see. :)

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:

Return to “Site News And Suggestions”