Alkali Metals - reaction with water

Into science? Chat about its amazing wonders here.
spotify95
A jungle man

Alkali Metals - reaction with water

Postby spotify95 » February 19th, 2016, 11:41 pm

I wanted to mention this ages ago, but only just remembered to do so now. It is to do with the reaction between alkali metals in water.

I studied this in A Level (or was it GCSE?) Chemistry - I think most classes would have seen some of the reactions - but here is a video showing how each alkali metal reacts in water. (By the way, in my school, we only did up to potassium, as the rest were too reactive, and not readily available.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uixxJtJPVXk

In case you were wondering: the Group 1 metals (alkali metals, so lithium, sodium, potassium, rubidium, cesium and francium) are all very reactive - and each subsequent reaction is more reactive than the previous reaction. Lithium is the least reactive (but still pretty reactive), sodium is more reactive than lithium, and so on. Look at how explosive the Cesium reaction is!

Note: it is not possible to react francium with water, because francium is radioactive, and has a short half life (half life being the time taken for half of the atoms to decay) - but imagine what the reaction would be like if it was possible!

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: Alkali Metals - reaction with water

Postby pinkteddyx64 » February 20th, 2016, 3:10 pm

spotify95 wrote:I wanted to mention this ages ago, but only just remembered to do so now. It is to do with the reaction between alkali metals in water.

I studied this in A Level (or was it GCSE?) Chemistry - I think most classes would have seen some of the reactions - but here is a video showing how each alkali metal reacts in water. (By the way, in my school, we only did up to potassium, as the rest were too reactive, and not readily available.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uixxJtJPVXk

In case you were wondering: the Group 1 metals (alkali metals, so lithium, sodium, potassium, rubidium, cesium and francium) are all very reactive - and each subsequent reaction is more reactive than the previous reaction. Lithium is the least reactive (but still pretty reactive), sodium is more reactive than lithium, and so on. Look at how explosive the Cesium reaction is!

Note: it is not possible to react francium with water, because francium is radioactive, and has a short half life (half life being the time taken for half of the atoms to decay) - but imagine what the reaction would be like if it was possible!

I wish I could have studied A levels........ :moon:

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:

Return to “General science”