Linux on a Virtual Machine

For discussion of all Linux distros and software for the Linux platform.
spotify95
A jungle man

Re: Linux on a Virtual Machine

Postby spotify95 » September 1st, 2014, 1:15 pm

bekbok wrote:I've not tried on either, but I've considered it. Not sure how to go about it though. :p

It's fairly straightforward to set up when you have a Linux CD and you have downloaded Virtualbox. :)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 1st, 2014, 1:16 pm

bekbok wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
bekbok wrote:I've not tried on either, but I've considered it. Not sure how to go about it though. :p
Believe me, it's much simpler than you think! ;) :thumbsup:

Probably, rooting my phone and installing custom android builds was fairly simple. ;)

I've thought about rooting, but don't really know what I'm doing and I'd probably end up bricking one of my old phones.

Having said that, one of my old phones (ZTE Blade 3) behaved like a brick from day 1!! :eek: :mad:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 1st, 2014, 1:20 pm

bekbok wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:On contract, or the full price up front for the phone?

Not sure, I really want either the nexus 5 or it's replacement, but it depends on what deals I can get as my current sim only is really good. :p

Wouldn't you ever consider 4G? :confused:

Nexus 5 is 4g and as I'm on 3, I get 4G for no extra cost, if I had a 4G phone now, I could use it. :D

That's good to hear. How would you rate 3 in terms of coverage? As I'm pretty certain it's 3G/4G only?

Three never bothered with Snail's Pace Internet (2G) which is good. I find that my phone (galaxy s4) seems to prefer 2G to 3G, so I turned off 2G in it's settings.

However if VM did do 4G then I still wouldn't be able to use it as turning on 4G would also turn on that nasty 2G!!!

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 1st, 2014, 1:22 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
bekbok wrote:

Not sure, I really want either the nexus 5 or it's replacement, but it depends on what deals I can get as my current sim only is really good. :p

Nexus 5 is 4g and as I'm on 3, I get 4G for no extra cost, if I had a 4G phone now, I could use it. :D
Cool! :cool:

Who are you with for your 4G?

Three, was on them before they had 4G, but they'll do it for no extra cost which is good. They give me a better deal now than I can see on their website which is why I'm tempted to stick with it.
That sounds fantastic! :D

I can't wait for the operators in this country to discontinue 2G so that that only 3G and 4G are available. (It's what happened in Japan).

I'd absolutely LOVE 2G to be abolished! It has no use!!!

Try streaming music (via TuneIn Radio) over a 2G network....

Result? 1 minute worth of buffering, then about 15-20 seconds of music, then 1 minute of buffering... and the cycle repeats itself. Which is no good whatsoever.

If they'd have turned off 2G, so then 3G and 4G were the only options, then they wouldn't have to sell of 800MHZ, and Freeview users wouldn't get interference!

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 1st, 2014, 1:23 pm

bekbok wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
bekbok wrote:

Cool! :cool:

Who are you with for your 4G?

Three, was on them before they had 4G, but they'll do it for no extra cost which is good. They give me a better deal now than I can see on their website which is why I'm tempted to stick with it.
That sounds fantastic! :D

I can't wait for the operators in this country to discontinue 2G so that that only 3G and 4G are available. (It's what happened in Japan).

It is, unlimited internet and I can wifi hotspot and tether, when I was at school I used about 10GB a month on my phone. :D

Yeah, is a good idea, three never had 2G though, so they are only 3G and 4G so, even on 3G I could get internet fast enough to stream films on my laptop. :p

Have you got Three's "One Plan"? As far as I'm aware thats the only plan you can use that used to give AYCE data + tethering

I'm on VM and they have a bad attitude to tethering but I do it anyway :p

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 1st, 2014, 1:24 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:I once went over my limit by 2.7 GB! :D

Was this with Virgin?

I heard that Virgin can impose quite hefty charges for going over...

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 1st, 2014, 1:25 pm

bekbok wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:I once went over my limit by 2.7 GB! :D

I don't have one which is nice, one used over 20GB in a month (was having problems trying to watch game of thrones) and they were fine with it. :D
But that sounds expensive. :mad:

Well, I no longer have a limit on mine either. :cool:

That's good, limits are horrible, I once had a 500MB data limit, which was really hard to stick to and I know, if I had my proper phone back (which was what I had at the time, did 2 years with that), I would never manage it. :p

My first plan was 500MB data and that was very hard to stick to. surprised I didn't go over.

at least I have AYCE data now :)

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » September 1st, 2014, 5:34 pm

My first plan was also 500MB data! :p

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 1st, 2014, 7:03 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:My first plan was also 500MB data! :p

How quickly were you able to eat though that? :D

I got through mine fairly quickly, but I didn't go over. Probably because I was far too cautious.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » September 1st, 2014, 7:04 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:My first plan was also 500MB data! :p

How quickly were you able to eat though that? :D

I got through mine fairly quickly, but I didn't go over. Probably because I was far too cautious.
Just shy of two weeks!! :eek: :D

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
bekbok
Super party animal

Postby bekbok » September 1st, 2014, 9:57 pm

spotify95 wrote:

It's fairly straightforward to set up when you have a Linux CD and you have downloaded Virtualbox. :)

Ok then, I might give it a try tomorrow :)

There's something you better understand about me 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it: I am definitely a mad man with a box. :D
bekbok
Super party animal

Postby bekbok » September 1st, 2014, 9:59 pm

spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
bekbok wrote:

That's good to hear. How would you rate 3 in terms of coverage? As I'm pretty certain it's 3G/4G only?

Three never bothered with Snail's Pace Internet (2G) which is good. I find that my phone (galaxy s4) seems to prefer 2G to 3G, so I turned off 2G in it's settings.

However if VM did do 4G then I still wouldn't be able to use it as turning on 4G would also turn on that nasty 2G!!!

The coverage is good, far better than O2 which is what I switched from. :)

And I'm on a plan from about a year ago that they don't sell anymore but costs £15 a month, though I'm not sure about tethering and 4G, but 3G is fine.

There's something you better understand about me 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it: I am definitely a mad man with a box. :D
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 2nd, 2014, 9:49 pm

bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
bekbok wrote:

And I'm on a plan from about a year ago that they don't sell anymore but costs £15 a month, though I'm not sure about tethering and 4G, but 3G is fine.

That's good to hear. :)

How would you say coverage is compared to (say) the EE network? As that is what I would be effectively switching from. (I actually use Virgin Mobile but they use EE's masts.)

I'd definitely get the "One Plan", which is unlimited data and 2GB (or is it 4GB) tethering. The latter being an essential requirement.

The 4G would be an even better reason to make me switch networks. :)

bekbok
Super party animal

Postby bekbok » September 2nd, 2014, 11:08 pm

spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
bekbok wrote:

How would you say coverage is compared to (say) the EE network? As that is what I would be effectively switching from. (I actually use Virgin Mobile but they use EE's masts.)

I'd definitely get the "One Plan", which is unlimited data and 2GB (or is it 4GB) tethering. The latter being an essential requirement.

I don't know, I was with orange way back and left not long after they merged with T-mobile, I think it depends where you are really.

I haven't looked at their plans in a bit, but my 12 month sim only comes up for renewal soon so I'll have to start.

The 4G is one of the things tempting me to stay with them as well as my plan (5,000 3to3 mins, 2,000 anybody mins, 5,000 texts and unlimited internet I can tether with as much as I like, 4G for £15 a month :eek: )

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 3rd, 2014, 12:00 pm

bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
bekbok wrote:

I don't know, I was with orange way back and left not long after they merged with T-mobile, I think it depends where you are really.

I haven't looked at their plans in a bit, but my 12 month sim only comes up for renewal soon so I'll have to start.

The 4G is one of the things tempting me to stay with them as well as my plan (5,000 3to3 mins, 2,000 anybody mins, 5,000 texts and unlimited internet I can tether with as much as I like, 4G for £15 a month :eek: )

That would be my ideal plan! 2000 minutes, 5000 texts? I'd never use all of those :D

The unlimited data and tethering is what I'd really love, especially if 4G is being thrown in!

And this being 4G that I can use!

If VM did 4G I couldn't use it as my phone would still be dropping back to 2G. You can have a look at the performance of 2G (streaming media) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyjTXT8bAeE

bekbok
Super party animal

Postby bekbok » September 3rd, 2014, 5:27 pm

spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
bekbok wrote:

That would be my ideal plan! 2000 minutes, 5000 texts? I'd never use all of those :D

The unlimited data and tethering is what I'd really love, especially if 4G is being thrown in!

If VM did 4G I couldn't use it as my phone would still be dropping back to 2G. You can have a look at the performance of 2G (streaming media) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyjTXT8bAeE

I never use all of them either, for me, it's basically unlimited. The main reason I got it was the data. Was very useful at school, didn't have to deal with their stupid blocking system. :p

I got it before they got 4G, but they decided to do it for no extra cost, for all people, old and new. :)

I know how horrible 2G is, when I was O2 I was very lucky to get a 3G signal at all. :eek:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 3rd, 2014, 8:28 pm

bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
bekbok wrote:

I never use all of them either, for me, it's basically unlimited. The main reason I got it was the data. Was very useful at school, didn't have to deal with their stupid blocking system. :p

I got it before they got 4G, but they decided to do it for no extra cost, for all people, old and new. :)

I know how horrible 2G is, when I was O2 I was very lucky to get a 3G signal at all. :eek:

I've only ever been with Virgin Mobile, though my Mum used to be with Vodafone and Dad used to be with Orange (now Everything Everywhere).

Now we are all on the crappy Virgin network.

My parents can stay on Virgin if they are happy with their service, but I can foresee a move to 3 in the future for myself. :)

I also know that Three won't slow you down, unlike Virgin. With Virgin, unlimited basically means 3.5GB.

I've been in some places where the phone switched to 2G, and wasn't impressed - so switched to WCDMA only and it solved that! :)

bekbok
Super party animal

Postby bekbok » September 3rd, 2014, 11:27 pm

spotify95 wrote:I've only ever been with Virgin Mobile, though my Mum used to be with Vodafone and Dad used to be with Orange (now Everything Everywhere).

My parents can stay on Virgin if they are happy with their service, but I can foresee a move to 3 in the future for myself. :)

I also know that Three won't slow you down, unlike Virgin. With Virgin, unlimited basically means 3.5GB.

I've been in some places where the phone switched to 2G, and wasn't impressed - so switched to WCDMA only and it solved that! :)

Makes sense I don't know what I'm going to do, but I doubt I can do better than 3, so as long as there's signal at uni, it looks like what I'm doing. :)

I know, can stream video and even managed a lol game on it. :D

Advantage of three, 3G and 4G only. :p

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 4th, 2014, 12:01 pm

bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:I've only ever been with Virgin Mobile, though my Mum used to be with Vodafone and Dad used to be with Orange (now Everything Everywhere).

Makes sense I don't know what I'm going to do, but I doubt I can do better than 3, so as long as there's signal at uni, it looks like what I'm doing. :)

Virgin Mobile (who I am currently with) are reasonably reliable for signal (even with the phone on 3G only!) and there are only a few bad patches.

I want to make sure that Three will have the same sort of reliability - though I've heard they now share masts with the EE guys. :)

IMO they should totally abolish ALL of the 2G networks and use the bandwidth to improve the 3G network. Then have 3G as the norm, with 4G giving coverage similar to today's 3G. :)

And they shouldn't have let 4G use 800MHZ as that interferes with Freeview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bekbok
Super party animal

Postby bekbok » September 4th, 2014, 5:06 pm

spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:

Virgin Mobile (who I am currently with) are reasonably reliable for signal (even with the phone on 3G only!) and there are only a few bad patches.

I want to make sure that Three will have the same sort of reliability - though I've heard they now share masts with the EE guys. :)

IMO they should totally abolish ALL of the 2G networks and use the bandwidth to improve the 3G network. Then have 3G as the norm, with 4G giving coverage similar to today's 3G. :)

And they shouldn't have let 4G use 800MHZ as that interferes with Freeview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said on tsr, I find the signal to be reliable too. :D

I agree, I think every new phone has 3G as standard these days and few people have phones so old they don't have 3G so it wouldn't be too much of an issue either. :p

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 5th, 2014, 4:25 pm

bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:

I agree, I think every new phone has 3G as standard these days and few people have phones so old they don't have 3G so it wouldn't be too much of an issue either. :p

In that case if virgin give me any grief I will be off to hutchison 3g as they seem reliable enough. plus they give u\l data

I can't remember the last phone that isn't 3g ready. in fact even my parents samsung jet s8000 has 3G.

bekbok
Super party animal

Postby bekbok » September 5th, 2014, 4:52 pm

spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:

In that case if virgin give me any grief I will be off to hutchison 3g as they seem reliable enough. plus they give u\l data

I can't remember the last phone that isn't 3g ready. in fact even my parents samsung jet s8000 has 3G.

Fair enough, get a good network and signal and it's all good. :D

Yeah, but some people have really old phones. My gran only got a new phone last year and it was an upgrade from the nokia 3310 which had a black and white screen. :p

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 8th, 2014, 10:00 am

bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:

Yeah, but some people have really old phones. My gran only got a new phone last year and it was an upgrade from the nokia 3310 which had a black and white screen. :p

In which case do a gradual 2G phase out. It isn't hard, and will mean that we should have more 3G/4G spectrum to use. :)

For example, it wasn't hard to do when analogue TV's got turned off and digital TV was the only way of watching TV (without Sky or Virgin). Anyone who didn't upgrade to a Freeview compatible TV lost their picture.

Same with the incandescent light bulb scenario. Ban the incandescents gradually, so everyone has to use a more eco-friendly light (or have no light at all) - though tbh the "eco friendly" lamps aren't really that good.

So you could do the same thing with 2G/3G. Advertise a gradual 2G switch off, and anyone who doesn't upgrade to a 3G handset loses their signal. Simples. Been done before with TV, so can be done with mobile.

bekbok
Super party animal

Postby bekbok » September 10th, 2014, 8:07 pm

spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:

In which case do a gradual 2G phase out. It isn't hard, and will mean that we should have more 3G/4G spectrum to use. :)

For example, it wasn't hard to do when analogue TV's got turned off and digital TV was the only way of watching TV (without Sky or Virgin). Anyone who didn't upgrade to a Freeview compatible TV lost their picture.

Same with the incandescent light bulb scenario. Ban the incandescents gradually, so everyone has to use a more eco-friendly light (or have no light at all) - though tbh the "eco friendly" lamps aren't really that good.

So you could do the same thing with 2G/3G. Advertise a gradual 2G switch off, and anyone who doesn't upgrade to a 3G handset loses their signal. Simples. Been done before with TV, so can be done with mobile.

Exactly, it can be done, stop selling 2G phones and then turn the signal off, people may have to buy new phones, but you can get phones for practically nothing these days (seen some for 49p) so it shouldn't be an issue. :)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » November 8th, 2014, 10:49 pm

I know this is wayyyy off topic (really need to make a mobile sub forum!) but I think I've just found the WCDMA Preferred setting for my Galaxy S4. This mode prefers 3G over 2G and will only drop to 2G if there is no 3G whatsoever.

Previously I used the default (LTE/GSM auto) and since Virgin Mobile don't do LTE (4G), it is effectively a GSM preferred setting. I don't want GSM!!!!!
Then swapped to WCDMA Only - result? Better 3G but no fallback
Then swapped to WCDMA Preferred (found the setting, finally!) and will have to test it out :)

Return to “Linux”